Re: cannot change password LS

  • kloekwil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
      Hi there,

      In a telnet session I wanted to delete the password files and to edit
      the smb.conf file (to change the workgroup name, something that was
      not possible via the webinterface). However in all cases I was not
      succesfull because the system seems to be read-only (message: the
      file system is read-only).

      Also chmod 777 can not change this.

      Can anybody tell me how I can het access to the files and to LS again.

      thanks
      William

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "kloekwil"
      <william.kloek@...> wrote:

      > Some additional info;
      > - I am using firmware 1.47
      > - When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the
      > message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
      > - Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the
      > shares.
      > - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again it does
      > not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need to
      > reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of the
      LS
      > and reinstall it. And then it starts all over again.....
      > - Another weird thing is that the client utility sometimes mentions
      > that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup filed is blank and that
      > are no data (after I cannot reach the admin page) whereas after a
      > fresh installation it is HD-LAN and the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
      > the drive is occupied for 10% (which is true...I hope).
      > - I am able to set-up a telnet connection but not experienced
      enough
      > to do some clever things.
      >
      > who can help?
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, kloekie wrote:
      > >

      > > I have problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
      > remove a
      > > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded that I
      > was
      > > succesfull in deleting the share but when I checked the share was
      > still
      > > there.
      > >
      > > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg
      > could not
      > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
      gave
      > > time-outs.
      > >
      > > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
      was
      > able to
      > > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
      > wanted to
      > > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
      > set the
      > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password
      it
      > was not
      > > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
      > >
      > > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.
      > > --
      > Nabble.com.

    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
        <william.kloek@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > there.
        > > >
        > > > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg
        > > could not
        > > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
        > gave
        > > > time-outs.
        > > >
        > > > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
        > was
        > > able to
        > > > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
        > > wanted to
        > > > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
        > > set the
        > > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password
        > it
        > > was not
        > > > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
        > > >
        > > > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.

        It seems like a vicious loop. If you reinstall the firmware, can you
        get FTP access? If you can copy the data, then you can start fresh.

        If no access, then I would suggest recovering the contents from the
        internal hard drive, formatting the internal hard drive with 1 partion
        (it doesn't matter what file system) and then reinstalling the
        firmware twice to bring the unit back to default conditions.
        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Disassemble_the_LinkStation
        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation

        This would not require linux use, as the internal drive is ext3, and
        www.fs-driver.org has drivers for windows that are known to work well.

        all the best,
        goat
      • William Kloek
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2007
          Hi Goat,

          Thanks for your reaction.

          My LS is now in EM-mode and there is no way of getting out of this mode.
          I tried to update the firmware (or better reflash 1.47 again). It looked like the procedure went well, a lot of hard disk activity but at the end I got the message that the renewal of the firmware was not successfull.

          So now it is time for plan B: removing the drive, saving the data, formatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware and then reinstalling Twonkey.

          I was already looking to get a Knopix cd/dvd but as I learn from you that is not needed so I will first try to attach the drive to my windows desktop. Thanks for the driver tip!

          William

          > In a telnet session I wanted to delete the password
          files and to edit
          > the smb.conf file (to change the workgroup name,
          something that was
          > not possible via the webinterface) . However in
          all cases I was not
          > succesfull because the system seems to be read-only
          (message: the
          > file system is read-only).
          >
          > Also chmod
          777 can not change this.

          > Can anybody tell me how I can het
          access to the files and to LS again.

          > thanks

          William

          href="mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com">LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "kloekwil"
          > <william.kloek@ > wrote:

          Some additional info;
          > > - I am using firmware 1.47
          > > -
          When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the

          message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
          > > -
          Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the

          shares.
          > > - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again
          it does
          > > not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need
          > > reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of
          the
          > LS
          > > and reinstall it. And then it starts all over
          again.....
          > > - Another weird thing is that the client utility
          sometimes mentions
          > > that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup
          filed is blank and that
          > > are no data (after I cannot reach the
          admin page) whereas after a
          > > fresh installation it is HD-LAN and
          the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
          > > the drive is occupied for 10%
          (which is true...I hope).
          > > - I am able to set-up a telnet connection
          but not experienced
          > enough
          > > to do some clever
          things.

          > > who can help?
          > >
          > > ---
          In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, kloekie wrote:

          > > > I have
          problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
          > > remove
          > > > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded
          that I
          > > was
          > > > succesfull in deleting the share but
          when I checked the share was
          > > still

          there.

          > > > When I logged off from the
          admin-page and tried to log on againg
          > > could not
          > > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
          > gave
          > > > time-outs.

          Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
          > was
          > > able to
          > > > get access to the admin-page again.
          During this installation I
          > > wanted to
          > > > change the
          admin password and the LS complained that it could not
          > > set
          the
          > > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the
          password
          > it
          > > was not
          > > > possible to get