Re: cannot change password LS

  • kloekwil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21 3:11 PM
      Some additional info;
      - I am using firmware 1.47
      - When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the
      message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
      - Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the
      shares.
      - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again it does
      not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need to
      reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of the LS
      and reinstall it. And then it starts all over again.....
      - Another weird thing is that the client utility sometimes mentions
      that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup filed is blank and that
      are no data (after I cannot reach the admin page) whereas after a
      fresh installation it is HD-LAN and the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
      the drive is occupied for 10% (which is true...I hope).
      - I am able to set-up a telnet connection but not experienced enough
      to do some clever things.

      who can help?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, kloekie wrote:

      > I have problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
      remove a
      > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded that I
      was
      > succesfull in deleting the share but when I checked the share was
      still
      > there.
      >
      > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg I
      could not
      > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only gave
      > time-outs.
      >
      > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I was
      able to
      > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
      wanted to
      > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
      set the
      > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password it
      was not
      > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
      >
      > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.
      > --
      Nabble.com.

    • kloekwil
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 23 10:10 AM
        Hi there,

        In a telnet session I wanted to delete the password files and to edit
        the smb.conf file (to change the workgroup name, something that was
        not possible via the webinterface). However in all cases I was not
        succesfull because the system seems to be read-only (message: the
        file system is read-only).

        Also chmod 777 can not change this.

        Can anybody tell me how I can het access to the files and to LS again.

        thanks
        William

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "kloekwil"
        <william.kloek@...> wrote:

        > Some additional info;
        > - I am using firmware 1.47
        > - When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the
        > message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
        > - Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the
        > shares.
        > - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again it does
        > not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need to
        > reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of the
        LS
        > and reinstall it. And then it starts all over again.....
        > - Another weird thing is that the client utility sometimes mentions
        > that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup filed is blank and that
        > are no data (after I cannot reach the admin page) whereas after a
        > fresh installation it is HD-LAN and the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
        > the drive is occupied for 10% (which is true...I hope).
        > - I am able to set-up a telnet connection but not experienced
        enough
        > to do some clever things.
        >
        > who can help?
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, kloekie wrote:
        > >

        > > I have problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
        > remove a
        > > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded that I
        > was
        > > succesfull in deleting the share but when I checked the share was
        > still
        > > there.
        > >
        > > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg
        > could not
        > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
        gave
        > > time-outs.
        > >
        > > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
        was
        > able to
        > > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
        > wanted to
        > > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
        > set the
        > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password
        it
        > was not
        > > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
        > >
        > > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.
        > > --
        > Nabble.com.

      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24 10:55 PM
          <william.kloek@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > there.
          > > >
          > > > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg
          > > could not
          > > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
          > gave
          > > > time-outs.
          > > >
          > > > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
          > was
          > > able to
          > > > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
          > > wanted to
          > > > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
          > > set the
          > > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password
          > it
          > > was not
          > > > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
          > > >
          > > > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.

          It seems like a vicious loop. If you reinstall the firmware, can you
          get FTP access? If you can copy the data, then you can start fresh.

          If no access, then I would suggest recovering the contents from the
          internal hard drive, formatting the internal hard drive with 1 partion
          (it doesn't matter what file system) and then reinstalling the
          firmware twice to bring the unit back to default conditions.
          http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Disassemble_the_LinkStation
          http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation

          This would not require linux use, as the internal drive is ext3, and
          www.fs-driver.org has drivers for windows that are known to work well.

          all the best,
          goat
        • William Kloek
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25 9:49 AM
            Hi Goat,

            Thanks for your reaction.

            My LS is now in EM-mode and there is no way of getting out of this mode.
            I tried to update the firmware (or better reflash 1.47 again). It looked like the procedure went well, a lot of hard disk activity but at the end I got the message that the renewal of the firmware was not successfull.

            So now it is time for plan B: removing the drive, saving the data, formatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware and then reinstalling Twonkey.

            I was already looking to get a Knopix cd/dvd but as I learn from you that is not needed so I will first try to attach the drive to my windows desktop. Thanks for the driver tip!

            William

            > In a telnet session I wanted to delete the password
            files and to edit
            > the smb.conf file (to change the workgroup name,
            something that was
            > not possible via the webinterface) . However in
            all cases I was not
            > succesfull because the system seems to be read-only
            (message: the
            > file system is read-only).
            >
            > Also chmod
            777 can not change this.

            > Can anybody tell me how I can het
            access to the files and to LS again.

            > thanks

            William

            href="mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com">LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "kloekwil"
            > <william.kloek@ > wrote:

            Some additional info;
            > > - I am using firmware 1.47
            > > -
            When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the

            message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
            > > -
            Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the

            shares.
            > > - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again
            it does
            > > not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need
            > > reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of
            the
            > LS
            > > and reinstall it. And then it starts all over
            again.....
            > > - Another weird thing is that the client utility
            sometimes mentions
            > > that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup
            filed is blank and that
            > > are no data (after I cannot reach the
            admin page) whereas after a
            > > fresh installation it is HD-LAN and
            the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
            > > the drive is occupied for 10%
            (which is true...I hope).
            > > - I am able to set-up a telnet connection
            but not experienced
            > enough
            > > to do some clever
            things.

            > > who can help?
            > >
            > > ---
            In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, kloekie wrote:

            > > > I have
            problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
            > > remove
            > > > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded
            that I
            > > was
            > > > succesfull in deleting the share but
            when I checked the share was
            > > still

            there.

            > > > When I logged off from the
            admin-page and tried to log on againg
            > > could not
            > > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
            > gave
            > > > time-outs.

            Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
            > was
            > > able to
            > > > get access to the admin-page again.
            During this installation I
            > > wanted to
            > > > change the
            admin password and the LS complained that it could not
            > > set
            the
            > > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the
            password
            > it
            > > was not
            > > > possible to get