cannot change password LS

  • kloekie
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
      I have problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to remove a
      share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded that I was
      succesfull in deleting the share but when I checked the share was still
      there.

      When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg I could not
      reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only gave
      time-outs.

      Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I was able to
      get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I wanted to
      change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not set the
      password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password it was not
      possible to get access tot the admin-page.

      It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.
    • kloekwil
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 21, 2007
        Some additional info;
        - I am using firmware 1.47
        - When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the
        message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
        - Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the
        shares.
        - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again it does
        not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need to
        reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of the LS
        and reinstall it. And then it starts all over again.....
        - Another weird thing is that the client utility sometimes mentions
        that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup filed is blank and that
        are no data (after I cannot reach the admin page) whereas after a
        fresh installation it is HD-LAN and the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
        the drive is occupied for 10% (which is true...I hope).
        - I am able to set-up a telnet connection but not experienced enough
        to do some clever things.

        who can help?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, kloekie wrote:

        > I have problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
        remove a
        > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded that I
        was
        > succesfull in deleting the share but when I checked the share was
        still
        > there.
        >
        > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg I
        could not
        > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only gave
        > time-outs.
        >
        > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I was
        able to
        > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
        wanted to
        > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
        set the
        > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password it
        was not
        > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
        >
        > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.
        > --
        Nabble.com.

      • kloekwil
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 23, 2007
          Hi there,

          In a telnet session I wanted to delete the password files and to edit
          the smb.conf file (to change the workgroup name, something that was
          not possible via the webinterface). However in all cases I was not
          succesfull because the system seems to be read-only (message: the
          file system is read-only).

          Also chmod 777 can not change this.

          Can anybody tell me how I can het access to the files and to LS again.

          thanks
          William

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "kloekwil"
          <william.kloek@...> wrote:

          > Some additional info;
          > - I am using firmware 1.47
          > - When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the
          > message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
          > - Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the
          > shares.
          > - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again it does
          > not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need to
          > reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of the
          LS
          > and reinstall it. And then it starts all over again.....
          > - Another weird thing is that the client utility sometimes mentions
          > that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup filed is blank and that
          > are no data (after I cannot reach the admin page) whereas after a
          > fresh installation it is HD-LAN and the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
          > the drive is occupied for 10% (which is true...I hope).
          > - I am able to set-up a telnet connection but not experienced
          enough
          > to do some clever things.
          >
          > who can help?
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, kloekie wrote:
          > >

          > > I have problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
          > remove a
          > > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded that I
          > was
          > > succesfull in deleting the share but when I checked the share was
          > still
          > > there.
          > >
          > > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg
          > could not
          > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
          gave
          > > time-outs.
          > >
          > > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
          was
          > able to
          > > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
          > wanted to
          > > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
          > set the
          > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password
          it
          > was not
          > > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
          > >
          > > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.
          > > --
          > Nabble.com.

        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2007
            <william.kloek@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > there.
            > > >
            > > > When I logged off from the admin-page and tried to log on againg
            > > could not
            > > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
            > gave
            > > > time-outs.
            > > >
            > > > Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
            > was
            > > able to
            > > > get access to the admin-page again. During this installation I
            > > wanted to
            > > > change the admin password and the LS complained that it could not
            > > set the
            > > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the password
            > it
            > > was not
            > > > possible to get access tot the admin-page.
            > > >
            > > > It seems that I have problems but I don't know where to start.

            It seems like a vicious loop. If you reinstall the firmware, can you
            get FTP access? If you can copy the data, then you can start fresh.

            If no access, then I would suggest recovering the contents from the
            internal hard drive, formatting the internal hard drive with 1 partion
            (it doesn't matter what file system) and then reinstalling the
            firmware twice to bring the unit back to default conditions.
            http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Disassemble_the_LinkStation
            http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php/Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation

            This would not require linux use, as the internal drive is ext3, and
            www.fs-driver.org has drivers for windows that are known to work well.

            all the best,
            goat
          • William Kloek
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2007
              Hi Goat,

              Thanks for your reaction.

              My LS is now in EM-mode and there is no way of getting out of this mode.
              I tried to update the firmware (or better reflash 1.47 again). It looked like the procedure went well, a lot of hard disk activity but at the end I got the message that the renewal of the firmware was not successfull.

              So now it is time for plan B: removing the drive, saving the data, formatting the drive and reinstalling the firmware and then reinstalling Twonkey.

              I was already looking to get a Knopix cd/dvd but as I learn from you that is not needed so I will first try to attach the drive to my windows desktop. Thanks for the driver tip!

              William

              > In a telnet session I wanted to delete the password
              files and to edit
              > the smb.conf file (to change the workgroup name,
              something that was
              > not possible via the webinterface) . However in
              all cases I was not
              > succesfull because the system seems to be read-only
              (message: the
              > file system is read-only).
              >
              > Also chmod
              777 can not change this.

              > Can anybody tell me how I can het
              access to the files and to LS again.

              > thanks

              William

              href="mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com">LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, "kloekwil"
              > <william.kloek@ > wrote:

              Some additional info;
              > > - I am using firmware 1.47
              > > -
              When I want to change options on the admin-page I often get the

              message "failed to save setting, please confirm the set up"
              > > -
              Although I am able to ping the ip-adress I cannot connect to the

              shares.
              > > - When I logout from the admin-page and want to logon again
              it does
              > > not work because I cannot reach the admin page and I need
              > > reinstall by pressing the red init button at the back. Turn of
              the
              > LS
              > > and reinstall it. And then it starts all over
              again.....
              > > - Another weird thing is that the client utility
              sometimes mentions
              > > that I have a HD-HDLAN-EM and the workgroup
              filed is blank and that
              > > are no data (after I cannot reach the
              admin page) whereas after a
              > > fresh installation it is HD-LAN and
              the workgroup is WORKGROUP and
              > > the drive is occupied for 10%
              (which is true...I hope).
              > > - I am able to set-up a telnet connection
              but not experienced
              > enough
              > > to do some clever
              things.

              > > who can help?
              > >
              > > ---
              In LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com, kloekie wrote:

              > > > I have
              problems with accessing my LS HD_H300LAN after I tried to
              > > remove
              > > > share (a share i created myself). The admin-page responded
              that I
              > > was
              > > > succesfull in deleting the share but
              when I checked the share was
              > > still

              there.

              > > > When I logged off from the
              admin-page and tried to log on againg
              > > could not
              > > > reconnect to the LS anymore. Also a ping to the ip-adress only
              > gave
              > > > time-outs.

              Then I reinstalled the LS using the installation software and I
              > was
              > > able to
              > > > get access to the admin-page again.
              During this installation I
              > > wanted to
              > > > change the
              admin password and the LS complained that it could not
              > > set
              the
              > > > password. After I tried to remove a share or change the
              password
              > it
              > > was not
              > > > possible to get