Re: failure joining AD domain when LS is on a different IP network than ADcontroller

  • greenjoel_ma
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
      Sorry to keep posting...but I got it figured out: apparently, the
      Linkstation needs to talk to a WINS server when it is on a different
      IP network than the AD domain controller.
      We were TRYING to phase out WINS (since none of our pc's, etc use it
      any longer) but apparently we'll have to keep this archaic technology
      just to make the Linkstations work.

      I'd love to hear any input that others may have regarding this...

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "greenjoel_ma"
      <joelhenderson@...> wrote:

      > oops, I meant to add that our AD servers are all running Windows
      2003
      > server.
      >
      > thanks again
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "greenjoel_ma"
      > <joelhenderson@> wrote:
      > >
      > > my co-worker purchased a Linkstation Pro (500GB) firmware v. 1.03
      > > (model# LS500GL).
      > >
      > > He configured the device here at our corp location (on the same
      IP
      > > network as our AD domain controllers). At that time, he had no
      > > problem joining the device to our AD domain.
      > >
      > > He then shipped the device to a remote office (which is connected
      > > our corp via a WAN) - the remote office LAN has a different IP
      > scheme
      > > than our corp site, so now all communication between Linkstation
      > and
      > > AD will be routed (which is never a problem with our pc's,
      > printers,
      > > etc).
      > >
      > > Now that the Linkstation is on a different IP network, we cannot
      > get
      > > it back on the AD domain. All of the IP settings (address, mask,
      > > gateway, DNS servers, etc) are correct (we can connect to the
      > > Linkstation via browser) but now we are getting the following
      > message
      > > when trying to 'Apply' the 'Workgroup and Domain Properties' page:
      > >
      > > "Failed to resolve the domain controller name set as the
      > > ActiveDirectory Domain controller name. Please check the network
      > > status to allow the computer name to be resolved.
      > > Do you wish to continue to join the ActiveDirectory domain as is?"
      > >
      > > When we select Yes, we get the following error:
      > >
      > > Failed to join ActiveDirectory domain. Please confirm the
      > > ActiveDirectory domain setting information, Administrator user
      name
      > > and password."
      > >
      > > We have tried inputting all of our domain controllers and various
      > > user accounts, but still get the same set of errors.
      > >
      > > It appears that the Linkstation is trying to resolved our domain
      > > controller's host name (but is not able to) however, it had no
      > > problems doing this when it lived on the same IP network as the
      AD

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2007
        Anyone know what version of Samba runs on a LS-PRO Ver 1.04? If they
        are still running version 2.xx then this is the problem. If they
        finally updated to version 3.xx (They are getting closer to releasing
        Version 4 !!! see http://news.samba.org/releases/4.0.0tp5 ). Anyway
        it sounds like you have WINS acting as a proxy name service for AD
        membership.

        I'm not real up on Windows systems these days, but it does sound kind
        of messy. Are you sure it wasn't also using WINS when it was on the
        local LAN? I would think you would have a much easier time routing
        DNS than WINS, except that you probably already went through the pain
        of getting WINS routed through your LAN anyway.

        AD support in Samba 3 is a little sketchy at best. You should
        probably read up on it at samba.org and see if it should work, then
        you'd have to get in and hack the config file in the LS to make it
        work the way you need. Probably not fun