Re: Mount WINDOWS (SMB) share

    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
      Sorry I didn't notice this thread until it got way long, and I haven't read all the replies
      to it so excuse me if I miss a few things. I'll try to give my 2 cents worth:

      1) That old LS Linux 2.4 kernel does NOT support CIFS, but it does support smbfs
      which is it's predecessor which works more like Windows98 filesharing.

      2) I'm not completely up on what is going on with MS-Windows these days, but I've
      always been able to connect to shares from Linux using smbfs. This includes Domain
      controllers running Server-2003.

      3) One of many things that might be missing is an encrypted password generated in a
      file on the LS to match against what the Windows machine is going to want for that
      share for a given user. This is unless you have it configured as a simple "open"
      share. To create a password, you normally use the command:

      smbpasswd -a <username>

      you even need this if there is no password for that user. (No password is still
      considered a password choice). In this case use the command:

      smbpasswd -a -n <username>

      If you only want to change an existing password, remove the "-a".

      Now this assumes you HAVE the smbpasswd on the LS. It this OpenLink or FreeLink? I
      never read the thread enough to find out.

      4) You also might have something set wrong in the rest of the samba (Windows files
      sharing suite for Linux) configuration. The raw config file should be
      at /etc/samba/smb.conf, which is a simple text file you could post here for community
      inspection. This is where it should be for Freelink, on OpenLink, who knows, the "real"
      one is probably buried over in the web interface area somewhere. (I thew out the
      original OS on my LS soon after I bought it.)

      5) To test some things, try connecting to one of the Linkstations own shares! At least
      there should be no permissions or strange Windows problems with this. Then work
      foreward from there.

      6) Yes, you DO need "smbmount", which is ususally "syn-linked" to "mount.smbfs" for
      the mount program to find it. You can do this manually if it isn't there:

      ln -s /usr/bin/smbmount /sbin/mount.smbfs

      7) Yes you can use the "smbclient" program too, but I'm guessing you want a
      permanent mount so this would only be useful in testing.

      8) All of these things are part of the the whole "samba" package, all of which may or
      may not be fully installed on your Linkstation. This would include the manual pages
      for this stuff too. If the later is missing you can either consult www.samba.org, or you
      could even look at the manual pages for what I have on my LS that I have publically
      available on my LS server. Here might be some interesting links:

      You probably get the idea.

      I even have a bunch of general Samba Documentation in this area:

    • javamarket
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 21, 2007
        Hi Thomas,

        Just a followup thank you.