Re: Mount WINDOWS (SMB) share

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-" <javamarket@...> wrote:

      > Hello All -
      >
      > I'm able to mount NFS shares with
      >
      > mount somesource/share /mnt/share/somewhere
      >
      > without any issues.
      >
      > I'd like to do the same with a Windows share but am having difficulty.
      >
      > When I try
      >
      > mount -t smbfs somesource/share /mnt/share/somewhere
      >
      > I get "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock ..."

      What system is this, exactly?

      -Andre
    • javamarket
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
        Hi Andre,

        It is a Linkstation PPC.

        I have managed to realize that

        a) samba isn't installed

        b) if downloaded it and am trying to get it installed.

        Any help in this regard would be great.

        At this point I have extracted the "latest" from samba.org and when I run the ./configure command that should create the makefile I receive:

        bash-2.05a# ./configure
        SAMBA VERSION: 3.0.25b
        LIBREPLACE_LOCATION_CHECKS: START
        checking build system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
        checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
        checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
        LIBREPLACE_LOCATION_CHECKS: END
        LIBREPLACE_CC_CHECKS: START
        checking for gcc... no
        checking for cc... no
        checking for cl.exe... no
        configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
        See `config.log' for more details.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
          Sorry I didn't notice this thread until it got way long, and I haven't read all the replies
          to it so excuse me if I miss a few things. I'll try to give my 2 cents worth:

          1) That old LS Linux 2.4 kernel does NOT support CIFS, but it does support smbfs
          which is it's predecessor which works more like Windows98 filesharing.

          2) I'm not completely up on what is going on with MS-Windows these days, but I've
          always been able to connect to shares from Linux using smbfs. This includes Domain
          controllers running Server-2003.

          3) One of many things that might be missing is an encrypted password generated in a
          file on the LS to match against what the Windows machine is going to want for that
          share for a given user. This is unless you have it configured as a simple "open"
          share. To create a password, you normally use the command:

          smbpasswd -a <username>

          you even need this if there is no password for that user. (No password is still
          considered a password choice). In this case use the command:

          smbpasswd -a -n <username>

          If you only want to change an existing password, remove the "-a".

          Now this assumes you HAVE the smbpasswd on the LS. It this OpenLink or FreeLink? I
          never read the thread enough to find out.

          4) You also might have something set wrong in the rest of the samba (Windows files
          sharing suite for Linux) configuration. The raw config file should be
          at /etc/samba/smb.conf, which is a simple text file you could post here for community
          inspection. This is where it should be for Freelink, on OpenLink, who knows, the "real"
          one is probably buried over in the web interface area somewhere. (I thew out the
          original OS on my LS soon after I bought it.)

          5) To test some things, try connecting to one of the Linkstations own shares! At least
          there should be no permissions or strange Windows problems with this. Then work
          foreward from there.

          6) Yes, you DO need "smbmount", which is ususally "syn-linked" to "mount.smbfs" for
          the mount program to find it. You can do this manually if it isn't there:

          ln -s /usr/bin/smbmount /sbin/mount.smbfs

          7) Yes you can use the "smbclient" program too, but I'm guessing you want a
          permanent mount so this would only be useful in testing.

          8) All of these things are part of the the whole "samba" package, all of which may or
          may not be fully installed on your Linkstation. This would include the manual pages
          for this stuff too. If the later is missing you can either consult www.samba.org, or you
          could even look at the manual pages for what I have on my LS that I have publically
          available on my LS server. Here might be some interesting links:

          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbmount+8
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smb.conf+5
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbpasswd+5
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbpasswd+8
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?mount+8
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/mansearch?query=samba

          You probably get the idea.

          I even have a bunch of general Samba Documentation in this area:
          http://wartstew.homelinux.net/dwww/menu/sapps_net.html

          James
        • javamarket
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 21, 2007