Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Mount WINDOWS (SMB) share

  • mike redman
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 18 3:23 AM
      you might have to start smbclient (if I remember
      correctly). If the distro you are using doesn't use smb
      then you might have to install it. Try going on the wiki
      for your distro or use a manual for a distro that uses your
      base system. I use kubuntu which is often close to ubuntu
      which is based on Debian.

      mike.

    • javamarket
      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 18 5:44 PM
        Hi Mike,

        Thank you for your below.  It really proved have pure windows I am because I understood so very little of what you were saying.  Thanks for the attempt tho.  I'll have to get myself some basic understanding unfotunately.

        This group has allowed me to get the device to a point where it is a Upnp for me and its great.

        I'm just hoping I can sort out this mapping to a windows box.

        Mark

        href="mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow>LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Ready
        > for the edge of your seat?
        > http://tv.yahoo. com/

        Got a little couch potato?
      • mike redman
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 19 12:11 AM
          Mark,

          There is lots of help out there. Try looking at the linux
          section of the slim devices help forum.

          for basic linux i use a book called the Linux bible. Try
          also the wiki for your distro or the documentation pages.

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 19 2:49 AM
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-" <javamarket@...> wrote:

            > Hello All -
            >
            > I'm able to mount NFS shares with
            >
            > mount somesource/share /mnt/share/somewhere
            >
            > without any issues.
            >
            > I'd like to do the same with a Windows share but am having difficulty.
            >
            > When I try
            >
            > mount -t smbfs somesource/share /mnt/share/somewhere
            >
            > I get "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock ..."

            What system is this, exactly?

            -Andre
          • javamarket
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 19 2:35 PM
              Hi Andre,

              It is a Linkstation PPC.

              I have managed to realize that

              a) samba isn't installed

              b) if downloaded it and am trying to get it installed.

              Any help in this regard would be great.

              At this point I have extracted the "latest" from samba.org and when I run the ./configure command that should create the makefile I receive:

              bash-2.05a# ./configure
              SAMBA VERSION: 3.0.25b
              LIBREPLACE_LOCATION_CHECKS: START
              checking build system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
              checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
              checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
              LIBREPLACE_LOCATION_CHECKS: END
              LIBREPLACE_CC_CHECKS: START
              checking for gcc... no
              checking for cc... no
              checking for cl.exe... no
              configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
              See `config.log' for more details.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 19 9:50 PM
                Sorry I didn't notice this thread until it got way long, and I haven't read all the replies
                to it so excuse me if I miss a few things. I'll try to give my 2 cents worth:

                1) That old LS Linux 2.4 kernel does NOT support CIFS, but it does support smbfs
                which is it's predecessor which works more like Windows98 filesharing.

                2) I'm not completely up on what is going on with MS-Windows these days, but I've
                always been able to connect to shares from Linux using smbfs. This includes Domain
                controllers running Server-2003.

                3) One of many things that might be missing is an encrypted password generated in a
                file on the LS to match against what the Windows machine is going to want for that
                share for a given user. This is unless you have it configured as a simple "open"
                share. To create a password, you normally use the command:

                smbpasswd -a <username>

                you even need this if there is no password for that user. (No password is still
                considered a password choice). In this case use the command:

                smbpasswd -a -n <username>

                If you only want to change an existing password, remove the "-a".

                Now this assumes you HAVE the smbpasswd on the LS. It this OpenLink or FreeLink? I
                never read the thread enough to find out.

                4) You also might have something set wrong in the rest of the samba (Windows files
                sharing suite for Linux) configuration. The raw config file should be
                at /etc/samba/smb.conf, which is a simple text file you could post here for community
                inspection. This is where it should be for Freelink, on OpenLink, who knows, the "real"
                one is probably buried over in the web interface area somewhere. (I thew out the
                original OS on my LS soon after I bought it.)

                5) To test some things, try connecting to one of the Linkstations own shares! At least
                there should be no permissions or strange Windows problems with this. Then work
                foreward from there.

                6) Yes, you DO need "smbmount", which is ususally "syn-linked" to "mount.smbfs" for
                the mount program to find it. You can do this manually if it isn't there:

                ln -s /usr/bin/smbmount /sbin/mount.smbfs

                7) Yes you can use the "smbclient" program too, but I'm guessing you want a
                permanent mount so this would only be useful in testing.

                8) All of these things are part of the the whole "samba" package, all of which may or
                may not be fully installed on your Linkstation. This would include the manual pages
                for this stuff too. If the later is missing you can either consult www.samba.org, or you
                could even look at the manual pages for what I have on my LS that I have publically
                available on my LS server. Here might be some interesting links:

                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbmount+8
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smb.conf+5
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbpasswd+5
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbpasswd+8
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?mount+8
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/mansearch?query=samba

                You probably get the idea.

                I even have a bunch of general Samba Documentation in this area:
                http://wartstew.homelinux.net/dwww/menu/sapps_net.html

                James
              • javamarket
                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 21 6:21 AM