Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Mount WINDOWS (SMB) share

  • javamarket
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 18, 2007
      Hi Thomas -

      Ok, both of these programs (commands) return a command not found.

      I guess I'm at a loss until I can figure out how to get / install what you mentioned.

      Thanks for your efforts.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jul 18, 2007
        you might have to start smbclient (if I remember
        correctly). If the distro you are using doesn't use smb
        then you might have to install it. Try going on the wiki
        for your distro or use a manual for a distro that uses your
        base system. I use kubuntu which is often close to ubuntu
        which is based on Debian.

        mike.

      • javamarket
        Message 3 of 14 , Jul 18, 2007
          Hi Mike,

          Thank you for your below.  It really proved have pure windows I am because I understood so very little of what you were saying.  Thanks for the attempt tho.  I'll have to get myself some basic understanding unfotunately.

          This group has allowed me to get the device to a point where it is a Upnp for me and its great.

          I'm just hoping I can sort out this mapping to a windows box.

          Mark

          href="mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow>LinkStation_ General@yahoogro ups.com

          ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _Ready
          > for the edge of your seat?
          > http://tv.yahoo. com/

          Got a little couch potato?
        • mike redman
          Message 4 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
            Mark,

            There is lots of help out there. Try looking at the linux
            section of the slim devices help forum.

            for basic linux i use a book called the Linux bible. Try
            also the wiki for your distro or the documentation pages.

          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "-" <javamarket@...> wrote:

              > Hello All -
              >
              > I'm able to mount NFS shares with
              >
              > mount somesource/share /mnt/share/somewhere
              >
              > without any issues.
              >
              > I'd like to do the same with a Windows share but am having difficulty.
              >
              > When I try
              >
              > mount -t smbfs somesource/share /mnt/share/somewhere
              >
              > I get "wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock ..."

              What system is this, exactly?

              -Andre
            • javamarket
              Message 6 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
                Hi Andre,

                It is a Linkstation PPC.

                I have managed to realize that

                a) samba isn't installed

                b) if downloaded it and am trying to get it installed.

                Any help in this regard would be great.

                At this point I have extracted the "latest" from samba.org and when I run the ./configure command that should create the makefile I receive:

                bash-2.05a# ./configure
                SAMBA VERSION: 3.0.25b
                LIBREPLACE_LOCATION_CHECKS: START
                checking build system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
                checking host system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
                checking target system type... powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu
                LIBREPLACE_LOCATION_CHECKS: END
                LIBREPLACE_CC_CHECKS: START
                checking for gcc... no
                checking for cc... no
                checking for cl.exe... no
                configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
                See `config.log' for more details.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jul 19, 2007
                  Sorry I didn't notice this thread until it got way long, and I haven't read all the replies
                  to it so excuse me if I miss a few things. I'll try to give my 2 cents worth:

                  1) That old LS Linux 2.4 kernel does NOT support CIFS, but it does support smbfs
                  which is it's predecessor which works more like Windows98 filesharing.

                  2) I'm not completely up on what is going on with MS-Windows these days, but I've
                  always been able to connect to shares from Linux using smbfs. This includes Domain
                  controllers running Server-2003.

                  3) One of many things that might be missing is an encrypted password generated in a
                  file on the LS to match against what the Windows machine is going to want for that
                  share for a given user. This is unless you have it configured as a simple "open"
                  share. To create a password, you normally use the command:

                  smbpasswd -a <username>

                  you even need this if there is no password for that user. (No password is still
                  considered a password choice). In this case use the command:

                  smbpasswd -a -n <username>

                  If you only want to change an existing password, remove the "-a".

                  Now this assumes you HAVE the smbpasswd on the LS. It this OpenLink or FreeLink? I
                  never read the thread enough to find out.

                  4) You also might have something set wrong in the rest of the samba (Windows files
                  sharing suite for Linux) configuration. The raw config file should be
                  at /etc/samba/smb.conf, which is a simple text file you could post here for community
                  inspection. This is where it should be for Freelink, on OpenLink, who knows, the "real"
                  one is probably buried over in the web interface area somewhere. (I thew out the
                  original OS on my LS soon after I bought it.)

                  5) To test some things, try connecting to one of the Linkstations own shares! At least
                  there should be no permissions or strange Windows problems with this. Then work
                  foreward from there.

                  6) Yes, you DO need "smbmount", which is ususally "syn-linked" to "mount.smbfs" for
                  the mount program to find it. You can do this manually if it isn't there:

                  ln -s /usr/bin/smbmount /sbin/mount.smbfs

                  7) Yes you can use the "smbclient" program too, but I'm guessing you want a
                  permanent mount so this would only be useful in testing.

                  8) All of these things are part of the the whole "samba" package, all of which may or
                  may not be fully installed on your Linkstation. This would include the manual pages
                  for this stuff too. If the later is missing you can either consult www.samba.org, or you
                  could even look at the manual pages for what I have on my LS that I have publically
                  available on my LS server. Here might be some interesting links:

                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbmount+8
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smb.conf+5
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbpasswd+5
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?smbpasswd+8
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/man2html?mount+8
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/cgi-bin/man/mansearch?query=samba

                  You probably get the idea.

                  I even have a bunch of general Samba Documentation in this area:
                  http://wartstew.homelinux.net/dwww/menu/sapps_net.html

                  James
                • javamarket
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jul 21, 2007