Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Backing them all up!

  • Anthony Migliore
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
      Another Ext2 windows driver

      http://www.fs-driver.org/

      //Mig

      bluemax_101 wrote:
      > Thanks Schelte :-)
      > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_ <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com> General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron <sbron@...>
    • bluemax_101
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
        After reading comments by Schelte, I am experimenting with a 20GB
        drive mounted in a USB caddy, connected direct to LS2. Don't seem to
        be able to do incremental/differential back ups; only complete
        backups of whatever directories you select. User Guide for LS did not
        help.

        Does anyone know if this is possible? Or may be there is a back-up
        utility out there?!

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron <sbron@...>
        wrote:

        > Interesting how people are afraid to use code that is still
        > being worked on because it is "under development". Then, if
        > it's not being worked on anymore people don't want to use it
        > because the project "has been abandoned".
        >
        > Face it, every piece of software (except for maybe some very
        > small programs) has bugs. Windows XP has lots of them and you
        > apparently have no reservations to use that.
        >
        > Anyway, you only seem to need very basic functionality: The
        > ability to read your files if the LS2 should ever fail. I would
        > be very surprised if that doesn't work.
        >
        > And now is a very good time to test it, while there's no data
        > on your LaCie yet. Just format it as the LS likes to have it,
        > make a backup and check if you can read it with the ext2 driver
        > on you XP PC. If you can't, file a bug against the ext2fsd
        > project. If it takes too long for the bug to be fixed you can
        > always reformat the LaCie to VFAT or NTFS and start struggling
        > with that.
        >

        > Schelte.
        >

        > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:03, bluemax_101 wrote:
        > > Thanks Schelte :-)
        > > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
        > >
        > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron
        > > <sbron@>
        > >
        > > wrote:

        > > > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers
        > > > available for windows. Like:
        > > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
        > > >
        > > > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use
        > > > windows.
        > > >

        > > > Schelte.

      • bluemax_101
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
          Thanks Mig..
          It has an easy to use interface too.
          Can't get it to see the LS drive or the USB drive connected to it.
          Only the drive and its partitions in the PC.
          May be I need to read the instructions first!

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Migliore