Re: Backing them all up!

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 20 10:03 AM
      Thanks Schelte :-)
      Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron <sbron@...>
      wrote:

      > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
      > > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
      > > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me a
      > > long time to rip from CDs.
      > >
      > > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2, I
      > > have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one day LS2
      > > fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the PC, cos XP
      > > won't recognise it.
      > >
      > > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and format
      > > it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2 via the PC
      > > into LaCie.
      > >
      > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers available
      > for windows. Like: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
      >
      > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use windows.
      >

      > Schelte.

    • Schelte Bron
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20 10:57 AM
        Interesting how people are afraid to use code that is still
        being worked on because it is "under development". Then, if
        it's not being worked on anymore people don't want to use it
        because the project "has been abandoned".

        Face it, every piece of software (except for maybe some very
        small programs) has bugs. Windows XP has lots of them and you
        apparently have no reservations to use that.

        Anyway, you only seem to need very basic functionality: The
        ability to read your files if the LS2 should ever fail. I would
        be very surprised if that doesn't work.

        And now is a very good time to test it, while there's no data
        on your LaCie yet. Just format it as the LS likes to have it,
        make a backup and check if you can read it with the ext2 driver
        on you XP PC. If you can't, file a bug against the ext2fsd
        project. If it takes too long for the bug to be fixed you can
        always reformat the LaCie to VFAT or NTFS and start struggling
        with that.

        Schelte.

        On Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:03, bluemax_101 wrote:
        > Thanks Schelte :-)
        > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
        >
        > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron
        > <sbron@...>
        >
        > wrote:
        > > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
        > > > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
        > > > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me
        > > > a long time to rip from CDs.
        > > >
        > > > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2,
        > > > I have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one
        > > > day LS2 fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the
        > > > PC, cos XP won't recognise it.
        > > >
        > > > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and
        > > > format it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2
        > > > via the PC into LaCie.
        > >
        > > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers
        > > available for windows. Like:
        > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
        > >
        > > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use
        > > windows.
        > >

        > > Schelte.
      • Anthony Migliore
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 20 12:32 PM
          Another Ext2 windows driver

          http://www.fs-driver.org/

          //Mig

          bluemax_101 wrote:
          > Thanks Schelte :-)
          > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_ <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com> General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron <sbron@...>
        • bluemax_101
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 25 6:48 AM
            After reading comments by Schelte, I am experimenting with a 20GB
            drive mounted in a USB caddy, connected direct to LS2. Don't seem to
            be able to do incremental/differential back ups; only complete
            backups of whatever directories you select. User Guide for LS did not
            help.

            Does anyone know if this is possible? Or may be there is a back-up
            utility out there?!

            wrote:

            > Interesting how people are afraid to use code that is still
            > being worked on because it is "under development". Then, if
            > it's not being worked on anymore people don't want to use it
            > because the project "has been abandoned".
            >
            > Face it, every piece of software (except for maybe some very
            > small programs) has bugs. Windows XP has lots of them and you
            > apparently have no reservations to use that.
            >
            > Anyway, you only seem to need very basic functionality: The
            > ability to read your files if the LS2 should ever fail. I would
            > be very surprised if that doesn't work.
            >
            > And now is a very good time to test it, while there's no data
            > on your LaCie yet. Just format it as the LS likes to have it,
            > make a backup and check if you can read it with the ext2 driver
            > on you XP PC. If you can't, file a bug against the ext2fsd
            > project. If it takes too long for the bug to be fixed you can
            > always reformat the LaCie to VFAT or NTFS and start struggling
            > with that.
            >

            > Schelte.
            >

            > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:03, bluemax_101 wrote:
            > > Thanks Schelte :-)
            > > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
            > >
            > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron
            > > <sbron@>
            > >
            > > wrote:

            > > > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers
            > > > available for windows. Like:
            > > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
            > > >
            > > > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use
            > > > windows.
            > > >

            > > > Schelte.

          • bluemax_101
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 25 6:54 AM
              Thanks Mig..
              It has an easy to use interface too.
              Can't get it to see the LS drive or the USB drive connected to it.
              Only the drive and its partitions in the PC.
              May be I need to read the instructions first!

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Migliore