Re: [LinkStation_General] Backing them all up!

  • Schelte Bron
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
      On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
      > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
      > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me a
      > long time to rip from CDs.
      >
      > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2, I
      > have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one day LS2
      > fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the PC, cos XP
      > won't recognise it.
      >
      > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and format
      > it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2 via the PC
      > into LaCie.

      No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers available
      for windows. Like: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd

      Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use windows.

      Schelte.
    • Ross Burton
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
        On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 17:07 +0200, Schelte Bron wrote:
        > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
        > > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
        > > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me a
        > > long time to rip from CDs.
        > >
        > > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2, I
        > > have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one day LS2
        > > fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the PC, cos XP
        > > won't recognise it.
        > >
        > > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and format
        > > it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2 via the PC
        > > into LaCie.

        Or format the disk as VFAT in Linux.

        Ross

        --
        Ross Burton mail: ross@...
        jabber: ross@...
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
          Ross..
          To format the HD as VFAT, will I need a PC with Linux install as the
          OS ? Or does the LS2 give such an option?
          Thanks

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Ross Burton <ross@...>
          wrote:

          > On Wed, 2007-06-20 at 17:07 +0200, Schelte Bron wrote:
          > > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
          > > > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
          > > > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me a
          > > > long time to rip from CDs.
          > > >
          > > > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2, I
          > > > have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one day LS2
          > > > fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the PC, cos XP
          > > > won't recognise it.
          > > >
          > > > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and format
          > > > it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2 via the PC
          > > > into LaCie.
          >
          > Or format the disk as VFAT in Linux.
          >
          > Ross
          >
          > --
          > Ross Burton mail: ross@...
          > jabber: ross@...
        • bluemax_101
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
            Thanks Schelte :-)
            Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron <sbron@...>
            wrote:

            > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
            > > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
            > > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me a
            > > long time to rip from CDs.
            > >
            > > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2, I
            > > have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one day LS2
            > > fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the PC, cos XP
            > > won't recognise it.
            > >
            > > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and format
            > > it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2 via the PC
            > > into LaCie.
            > >
            > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers available
            > for windows. Like: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
            >
            > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use windows.
            >

            > Schelte.

          • Schelte Bron
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
              Interesting how people are afraid to use code that is still
              being worked on because it is "under development". Then, if
              it's not being worked on anymore people don't want to use it
              because the project "has been abandoned".

              Face it, every piece of software (except for maybe some very
              small programs) has bugs. Windows XP has lots of them and you
              apparently have no reservations to use that.

              Anyway, you only seem to need very basic functionality: The
              ability to read your files if the LS2 should ever fail. I would
              be very surprised if that doesn't work.

              And now is a very good time to test it, while there's no data
              on your LaCie yet. Just format it as the LS likes to have it,
              make a backup and check if you can read it with the ext2 driver
              on you XP PC. If you can't, file a bug against the ext2fsd
              project. If it takes too long for the bug to be fixed you can
              always reformat the LaCie to VFAT or NTFS and start struggling
              with that.

              Schelte.

              On Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:03, bluemax_101 wrote:
              > Thanks Schelte :-)
              > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
              >
              > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron
              > <sbron@...>
              >
              > wrote:
              > > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 16:28, bluemax_101 wrote:
              > > > I bought a LaCie external HD with the same capacity as my
              > > > LS2. Idea was to use it for backing up files that took me
              > > > a long time to rip from CDs.
              > > >
              > > > But now find that if I plug the LaCie to the back of LS2,
              > > > I have to format it in Linux. If I did that and if one
              > > > day LS2 fail, I won't be able to plug the LaCie into the
              > > > PC, cos XP won't recognise it.
              > > >
              > > > So the only option is to connect the LaCie to PC and
              > > > format it in FAT or NTFS. Then copy files over from LS2
              > > > via the PC into LaCie.
              > >
              > > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers
              > > available for windows. Like:
              > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
              > >
              > > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use
              > > windows.
              > >

              > > Schelte.
            • Anthony Migliore
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 20, 2007
                Another Ext2 windows driver

                http://www.fs-driver.org/

                //Mig

                bluemax_101 wrote:
                > Thanks Schelte :-)
                > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_ <mailto:LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com> General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron <sbron@...>
              • bluemax_101
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
                  After reading comments by Schelte, I am experimenting with a 20GB
                  drive mounted in a USB caddy, connected direct to LS2. Don't seem to
                  be able to do incremental/differential back ups; only complete
                  backups of whatever directories you select. User Guide for LS did not
                  help.

                  Does anyone know if this is possible? Or may be there is a back-up
                  utility out there?!

                  wrote:

                  > Interesting how people are afraid to use code that is still
                  > being worked on because it is "under development". Then, if
                  > it's not being worked on anymore people don't want to use it
                  > because the project "has been abandoned".
                  >
                  > Face it, every piece of software (except for maybe some very
                  > small programs) has bugs. Windows XP has lots of them and you
                  > apparently have no reservations to use that.
                  >
                  > Anyway, you only seem to need very basic functionality: The
                  > ability to read your files if the LS2 should ever fail. I would
                  > be very surprised if that doesn't work.
                  >
                  > And now is a very good time to test it, while there's no data
                  > on your LaCie yet. Just format it as the LS likes to have it,
                  > make a backup and check if you can read it with the ext2 driver
                  > on you XP PC. If you can't, file a bug against the ext2fsd
                  > project. If it takes too long for the bug to be fixed you can
                  > always reformat the LaCie to VFAT or NTFS and start struggling
                  > with that.
                  >

                  > Schelte.
                  >

                  > On Wednesday 20 June 2007 19:03, bluemax_101 wrote:
                  > > Thanks Schelte :-)
                  > > Looks as if it has a few bugs. It is still under development.
                  > >
                  > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Schelte Bron
                  > > <sbron@>
                  > >
                  > > wrote:

                  > > > No it's not. There are ext2/ext3 file system drivers
                  > > > available for windows. Like:
                  > > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd
                  > > >
                  > > > Note: I haven't tried it myself, because I don't use
                  > > > windows.
                  > > >

                  > > > Schelte.

                • bluemax_101
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 25, 2007
                    Thanks Mig..
                    It has an easy to use interface too.
                    Can't get it to see the LS drive or the USB drive connected to it.
                    Only the drive and its partitions in the PC.
                    May be I need to read the instructions first!

                    --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Anthony Migliore