Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: Running FTP on HD-H300LAN

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12 1:13 PM
      --- jan_bakalar <jan_bakalar@...> wrote:

      > should
      > > be explained in the user manual for your
      > particular
      > > router.
      > >

      > Now, is it
      > secure? :) I use a username and long password, but
      > I'm not sure it is
      > enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation
      > does not seem to have
      > anything to protect itself. Is that why so many
      > users went for the
      > alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website?
      > Thx in advance!

      FTP passes passwords in cleartext. Therefore, it's
      not secure. The replacement for FTP and Telnet which
      both place passwords in the clear is SCP and SSH.

      The latter offers encryption and public and private
      keys. It can even authorize to a host. It can use a
      DNS lookup and then determine who your are based on
      your IP address which will fix man in the middle
      attacks or tunneling. Connections can be "password
      less" relying totally on the exchange of keys or it
      can use a password + keys. The first time you make a
      connection with ssh a key is created. You need to do
      some extra work to make the connections without a
      password.

      http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/