Re: Running FTP on HD-H300LAN

  • jan_bakalar
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:

      > jan_bakalar wrote:
      > >
      > > 1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
      > > found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
      > > able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
      > > the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
      > > remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
      > > let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
      > > router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
      > > won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
      > > stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
      > > guidance.
      >
      > You have to configure your router to forward incoming
      > FTP traffic (port 21) to the 192.168.x.x address of
      > your Linkstation. You would then FTP to the Linkstation
      > from outside your LAN using the public IP address supplied
      > by your ISP.
      >
      > Instructions for configuring port forwarding should
      > be explained in the user manual for your particular
      > router.

      Thank you very much indeed. I found out there was an interference in
      ports that was fixed by an update of firmware and reseting of port
      forwarding rules. FTP is working now, great job guys! Now, is it
      secure? :) I use a username and long password, but I'm not sure it is
      enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation does not seem to have
      anything to protect itself. Is that why so many users went for the
      alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website? Thx in advance!
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
        --- jan_bakalar <jan_bakalar@...> wrote:

        > should
        > > be explained in the user manual for your
        > particular
        > > router.
        > >

        > Now, is it
        > secure? :) I use a username and long password, but
        > I'm not sure it is
        > enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation
        > does not seem to have
        > anything to protect itself. Is that why so many
        > users went for the
        > alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website?
        > Thx in advance!

        FTP passes passwords in cleartext. Therefore, it's
        not secure. The replacement for FTP and Telnet which
        both place passwords in the clear is SCP and SSH.

        The latter offers encryption and public and private
        keys. It can even authorize to a host. It can use a
        DNS lookup and then determine who your are based on
        your IP address which will fix man in the middle
        attacks or tunneling. Connections can be "password
        less" relying totally on the exchange of keys or it
        can use a password + keys. The first time you make a
        connection with ssh a key is created. You need to do
        some extra work to make the connections without a
        password.

        http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/