How to reset the Jumbo Frame setting on a KuroBox

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
      My reply. since I'm not sure of a few things not
      having a KB. Anybody can feel free to chime in, if I
      appear to innacurate.

      --- Sean <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

      > (i) Is it possible to connect to the KB directly
      > from my desktop with a
      > crossover lan cable? (Remember, currently IP
      > addresses are assigned on
      > my network via the DHCP server in my modem/hub).
      >

      > Sean

      Sean:

      From previous posts, it seems to be possible to
      connect via a crossover cable. If your computer has an
      auto-MDX ethernet port, then a crossover cable isn't
      necessary.

      Look at the lights on the Ethernet Jack. One usually
      shows link and the other data. So, if you have a link
      light, your connecected to a "Ethernet" network. i.e
      Speaks Ethernet. No harm in trying. I've only had a
      print server that required a hub/switch to configure.

      In a standard hub, the out port just has the pins
      reversed. There is no real direction. So a computer
      connected to out of the hub and an in port will
      function as though there is the equlivelent of a
      crossover cable used. It should actually be better.

      Most computers and probably the KB have a mode that if
      there is no DHCP server on the network, they pick an
      address in the 169.254.x.x address range. They pick
      an address and the other device picks one and then
      checks if it's in use. If it is, it picks another
      one. So, it is theoretically possible to connect
      without a DHCP server.

      Here is a Microsoft Link:
      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874

      This is how you can connect 2 PC's together or a MAC
      and a PC. Windows networking requires the same
      wokgroup name.

      The set-up is both devices are set to DHCP. I believe
      a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 on the computer will route
      all to the computer, especially if th KB is set to
      something other than 255.255.255.0, so in this special
      case, the subnet mask need not be indentical. Gateway
      address doesn't matter.

      Not owning a KB, I don't know if there are any
      auto-discovery tools, but there are tools that will
      ping all addresses in a given range such as IP Ping
      Tool:

      http://www.sharewareplaza.com/IP-Ping-tool-download_36553.html

      In windows, you can set the link speed from
      auto-negotiation in the device manager. THat may or
      may not help if the link speed on the KB is set to
      Gigabit. If it's set to 100 or 10, then jumbo frames
      are not avialable, right?

      You can report on your successes or failures.

      KISS

      http://farechase.yahoo.com/
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
        Disregard the replay with "Personal" in the subject
        and use the updated response without "Personal" in the
        subject.

        Yahoo's "Reply to sender" seems to have trouble
        differentiating "Reply to Sender".

        KISS

        Got a little couch potato?
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
          I am using a NETGEAR GIBABIT ROUTER, and
          I have my Linkstation set to 9000K Jumbo Frame.

          Works flawlessly.

          If you NIC supports jumbo frame, LEAVE THAT SETTING OFF.
          it wont work properly.

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sean"
          <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > While tooling around the menus in my KuroBox HG, and without
          thinking
          > things through fully... I thought I'd try the Jumbo Frame setting,
          as
          > both my KB and my computer are 1000mg Lan capable. Of course I
          > instantly lost access to my KB, as my network hub is not JumboFrame
          > capable.
          >
          > Is there any way to get back into my KB to reset it to standard
          frame
          > size?
          >
          > The 10/100 hub/modem from my service provider is acting as the DHCP
          > server on my network, between my KB and my desktop running
          WindowsMedia