Re: Personal reply to How to reset the Jumbo Frame setting on a KuroBox

  • KeepIt SimpleStupid
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
      This is a personal reply. since I'm not sure.

      --- Sean <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

      > (i) Is it possible to connect to the KB directly
      > from my desktop with a
      > crossover lan cable? (Remember, currently IP
      > addresses are assigned on
      > my network via the DHCP server in my modem/hub).
      >

      > Sean

      Sean:

      From previous posts, it seems to be possible to
      connect via a crossover cable. If your computer has an
      auto-MDX ethernet port, then a crossover cable isn't
      necessary.

      Look at the lights on the Ethernet Jack. One usually
      shows link and the other data. So, if you have a link
      light, your connecected to a "Ethernet" network. i.e
      Speaks Ethernet. No harm in trying. I've only had a
      print server that required a hub/switch to configure.

      Most computers and probably the KB have a mode that if
      there is no DHCP server on the network, they pick an
      address. I forget the first octet, but 254 is the
      second octet. They pick an address and the other
      device picks one and then checks if it's in use. If
      it is, it picks another one. So, it is theoretically
      possible to connect without a DHCP server.

      This is how you can connect 2 PC's together or a MAC
      and a PC. Windows networking requires the same
      wokgroup name.

      The set-up is both devices are set to DHCP. I believe
      a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 on the computer will route
      all, especially if th KB is set to something other
      than 255.255.255.0, so in this special case, the
      subnet mask need not be indentical. Gateway address
      doesn't matter.

      KISS

      Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
        My reply. since I'm not sure of a few things not
        having a KB. Anybody can feel free to chime in, if I
        appear to innacurate.

        --- Sean <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

        > (i) Is it possible to connect to the KB directly
        > from my desktop with a
        > crossover lan cable? (Remember, currently IP
        > addresses are assigned on
        > my network via the DHCP server in my modem/hub).
        >

        > Sean

        Sean:

        From previous posts, it seems to be possible to
        connect via a crossover cable. If your computer has an
        auto-MDX ethernet port, then a crossover cable isn't
        necessary.

        Look at the lights on the Ethernet Jack. One usually
        shows link and the other data. So, if you have a link
        light, your connecected to a "Ethernet" network. i.e
        Speaks Ethernet. No harm in trying. I've only had a
        print server that required a hub/switch to configure.

        In a standard hub, the out port just has the pins
        reversed. There is no real direction. So a computer
        connected to out of the hub and an in port will
        function as though there is the equlivelent of a
        crossover cable used. It should actually be better.

        Most computers and probably the KB have a mode that if
        there is no DHCP server on the network, they pick an
        address in the 169.254.x.x address range. They pick
        an address and the other device picks one and then
        checks if it's in use. If it is, it picks another
        one. So, it is theoretically possible to connect
        without a DHCP server.

        Here is a Microsoft Link:
        http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874

        This is how you can connect 2 PC's together or a MAC
        and a PC. Windows networking requires the same
        wokgroup name.

        The set-up is both devices are set to DHCP. I believe
        a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 on the computer will route
        all to the computer, especially if th KB is set to
        something other than 255.255.255.0, so in this special
        case, the subnet mask need not be indentical. Gateway
        address doesn't matter.

        Not owning a KB, I don't know if there are any
        auto-discovery tools, but there are tools that will
        ping all addresses in a given range such as IP Ping
        Tool:

        http://www.sharewareplaza.com/IP-Ping-tool-download_36553.html

        In windows, you can set the link speed from
        auto-negotiation in the device manager. THat may or
        may not help if the link speed on the KB is set to
        Gigabit. If it's set to 100 or 10, then jumbo frames
        are not avialable, right?

        You can report on your successes or failures.

        KISS

        http://farechase.yahoo.com/
      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
          Disregard the replay with "Personal" in the subject
          and use the updated response without "Personal" in the
          subject.

          Yahoo's "Reply to sender" seems to have trouble
          differentiating "Reply to Sender".

          KISS

          Got a little couch potato?
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
            I am using a NETGEAR GIBABIT ROUTER, and
            I have my Linkstation set to 9000K Jumbo Frame.

            Works flawlessly.

            If you NIC supports jumbo frame, LEAVE THAT SETTING OFF.
            it wont work properly.

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sean"
            <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

            > Hi all,
            >
            > While tooling around the menus in my KuroBox HG, and without
            thinking
            > things through fully... I thought I'd try the Jumbo Frame setting,
            as
            > both my KB and my computer are 1000mg Lan capable. Of course I
            > instantly lost access to my KB, as my network hub is not JumboFrame
            > capable.
            >
            > Is there any way to get back into my KB to reset it to standard
            frame
            > size?
            >
            > The 10/100 hub/modem from my service provider is acting as the DHCP
            > server on my network, between my KB and my desktop running
            WindowsMedia