How to reset the Jumbo Frame setting on a KuroBox

  • Sean
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2007
      Hi all,

      While tooling around the menus in my KuroBox HG, and without thinking
      things through fully... I thought I'd try the Jumbo Frame setting, as
      both my KB and my computer are 1000mg Lan capable. Of course I
      instantly lost access to my KB, as my network hub is not JumboFrame
      capable.

      Is there any way to get back into my KB to reset it to standard frame
      size?

      The 10/100 hub/modem from my service provider is acting as the DHCP
      server on my network, between my KB and my desktop running WindowsMedia
      Center2005. Two ideas:

      (i) Is it possible to connect to the KB directly from my desktop with a
      crossover lan cable? (Remember, currently IP addresses are assigned on
      my network via the DHCP server in my modem/hub).

      (ii) If I purchased a 10/100/1000 JumboFrame-capable switching hub, and
      cascaded that off of the hub/modem from my provider, would that give me
      access to my KB again?

      TIA for any suggestions!

      Sean
    • KeepIt SimpleStupid
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
        This is a personal reply. since I'm not sure.

        --- Sean <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

        > (i) Is it possible to connect to the KB directly
        > from my desktop with a
        > crossover lan cable? (Remember, currently IP
        > addresses are assigned on
        > my network via the DHCP server in my modem/hub).
        >

        > Sean

        Sean:

        From previous posts, it seems to be possible to
        connect via a crossover cable. If your computer has an
        auto-MDX ethernet port, then a crossover cable isn't
        necessary.

        Look at the lights on the Ethernet Jack. One usually
        shows link and the other data. So, if you have a link
        light, your connecected to a "Ethernet" network. i.e
        Speaks Ethernet. No harm in trying. I've only had a
        print server that required a hub/switch to configure.

        Most computers and probably the KB have a mode that if
        there is no DHCP server on the network, they pick an
        address. I forget the first octet, but 254 is the
        second octet. They pick an address and the other
        device picks one and then checks if it's in use. If
        it is, it picks another one. So, it is theoretically
        possible to connect without a DHCP server.

        This is how you can connect 2 PC's together or a MAC
        and a PC. Windows networking requires the same
        wokgroup name.

        The set-up is both devices are set to DHCP. I believe
        a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 on the computer will route
        all, especially if th KB is set to something other
        than 255.255.255.0, so in this special case, the
        subnet mask need not be indentical. Gateway address
        doesn't matter.

        KISS

        Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.
      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
          My reply. since I'm not sure of a few things not
          having a KB. Anybody can feel free to chime in, if I
          appear to innacurate.

          --- Sean <mail.jsbennett@...> wrote:

          > (i) Is it possible to connect to the KB directly
          > from my desktop with a
          > crossover lan cable? (Remember, currently IP
          > addresses are assigned on
          > my network via the DHCP server in my modem/hub).
          >

          > Sean

          Sean:

          From previous posts, it seems to be possible to
          connect via a crossover cable. If your computer has an
          auto-MDX ethernet port, then a crossover cable isn't
          necessary.

          Look at the lights on the Ethernet Jack. One usually
          shows link and the other data. So, if you have a link
          light, your connecected to a "Ethernet" network. i.e
          Speaks Ethernet. No harm in trying. I've only had a
          print server that required a hub/switch to configure.

          In a standard hub, the out port just has the pins
          reversed. There is no real direction. So a computer
          connected to out of the hub and an in port will
          function as though there is the equlivelent of a
          crossover cable used. It should actually be better.

          Most computers and probably the KB have a mode that if
          there is no DHCP server on the network, they pick an
          address in the 169.254.x.x address range. They pick
          an address and the other device picks one and then
          checks if it's in use. If it is, it picks another
          one. So, it is theoretically possible to connect
          without a DHCP server.

          Here is a Microsoft Link:
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220874

          This is how you can connect 2 PC's together or a MAC
          and a PC. Windows networking requires the same
          wokgroup name.

          The set-up is both devices are set to DHCP. I believe
          a subnet mask of 0.0.0.0 on the computer will route
          all to the computer, especially if th KB is set to
          something other than 255.255.255.0, so in this special
          case, the subnet mask need not be indentical. Gateway
          address doesn't matter.

          Not owning a KB, I don't know if there are any
          auto-discovery tools, but there are tools that will
          ping all addresses in a given range such as IP Ping
          Tool:

          http://www.sharewareplaza.com/IP-Ping-tool-download_36553.html

          In windows, you can set the link speed from
          auto-negotiation in the device manager. THat may or
          may not help if the link speed on the KB is set to
          Gigabit. If it's set to 100 or 10, then jumbo frames
          are not avialable, right?

          You can report on your successes or failures.

          KISS

          http://farechase.yahoo.com/
        • KeepIt SimpleStupid
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2007
            Disregard the replay with "Personal" in the subject
            and use the updated response without "Personal" in the
            subject.

            Yahoo's "Reply to sender" seems to have trouble
            differentiating "Reply to Sender".

            KISS

            Got a little couch potato?
          • Greg
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 4, 2007
              I am using a NETGEAR GIBABIT ROUTER, and
              I have my Linkstation set to 9000K Jumbo Frame.

              Works flawlessly.

              If you NIC supports jumbo frame, LEAVE THAT SETTING OFF.
              it wont work properly.

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Sean"