Re: Running FTP on HD-H300LAN

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 10, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jan_bakalar"
      <jan_bakalar@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I bought a Linkstation HD-H300LAN last year for network sharing,
      > however recently I would also appreciate an FTP function, if it can do
      > it. The question is, what do I need to download as I have no knowledge
      > of Linux (only Slax for PC-rescue purposes). Is this HDD actually
      > capable of running as a FTP server behind a router (Netgear D384G)? I
      > tried to find the information in the forum (also Linkstation Wiki
      > forums) but I don't even know the differences between ppc, mipsel and
      > arm9 based software etc. Is it really so difficult to set up?
      >
      > Thanks for your time and answers.
      > Jan Bakalar

      This linkstation has a basic, unsecure FTP server built in with the
      stock firmware. There should be instructions in the manual for
      setting that up, but basically, you first have to add some users in
      the web interface, located at http://ipaddress_of_linkstation , then
      there should be an FTP setup in the network? menu, don't quote me on
      the exact place. You then enable registered user or anonymous FTP and
      check the folders that you want FTP access to. Then, if I remember
      correctly, you set which users can have access to the FTP folder in
      the shared folder settings.

      One last thing is to enable port forwarding in your router/gateway for
      tcp ports 20 and 21 to the IP of the linkstation.
      more info here: http://www.portforward.com

      If you are looking for more advanced FTP functionality, like SFTP,
      secure FTP, you may want to look into the openlink variants.
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink

      but you will need to know what linkstation version you have. Easiest
      way, if there is a X - II switch on the back of your linkstation for
      patch/crossover connection, then you have a PPC linkstation, else you
      have a Mipsel linkstation.

      I looked around, and cant find references to sftp for openlink, so I
      may be wrong about that, but there is still development, and you
      could ask for additional help here or at
      http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/

      Hope this helps,

      Goat
    • jan_bakalar
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
        Goat wrote:

        > This linkstation has a basic, unsecure FTP server built in with the
        > stock firmware. There should be instructions in the manual for
        > setting that up, but basically, you first have to add some users in
        > the web interface, located at http://ipaddress_of_linkstation , then
        > there should be an FTP setup in the network? menu, don't quote me on
        > the exact place. You then enable registered user or anonymous FTP and
        > check the folders that you want FTP access to. Then, if I remember
        > correctly, you set which users can have access to the FTP folder in
        > the shared folder settings.
        >
        > One last thing is to enable port forwarding in your router/gateway for
        > tcp ports 20 and 21 to the IP of the linkstation.
        > more info here: http://www.portforward.com
        >

        > If you are looking for more advanced FTP functionality, like SFTP,
        > secure FTP, you may want to look into the openlink variants.
        > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink
        >
        > but you will need to know what linkstation version you have. Easiest
        > way, if there is a X - II switch on the back of your linkstation for
        > patch/crossover connection, then you have a PPC linkstation, else you
        > have a Mipsel linkstation.
        >
        > I looked around, and cant find references to sftp for openlink, so I
        > may be wrong about that, but there is still development, and you
        > could ask for additional help here or at
        > http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/
        >
        > Hope this helps,
        >
        > Goat

        Dear Goat

        thank you very much for such a useful answer. I spent a whole morning
        just by reading the linstationwiki FAQ to find out more about my
        Linkstation and what is it capable to do. I also tried the tips for
        FTP you posted. As this whole stuff seems to be more complex than I
        thought, I'm partly discouraged and partly excited about the new
        possiblities (that seem so hard to be reached).

        1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
        found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
        able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
        the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
        remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
        let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
        router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
        won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
        stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
        guidance.

        2. By installing the openlink firmware that seems to be so much better
        than the stock Buffalo firmware, I am very afraid that something would
        go wrong and all the data would go away (there is too much data to
        back up!). However, if the FTP function is not secure, I may still
        try. But where to start? The wesbite
        (http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net)sounds extremely confusing -
        although I know that I should go to a folder for Mipsel-based
        Likstation, there are many files in there anyway. I would be even
        willing to pay someone to help me with it (i.e. via paypal) just to
        have it done (i.e via ICQ or MSN etc.). So, if I want to do so, i will
        be very grateful (I am already actually ;)) So far I understand that
        the internal hdd (300gb) is divided to 3 parts, so the data part (last
        one) should not be affected by flashing the memory, but you never know
        what may happen in hands of an unexperienced person..

        3. Lastly I have two easier questions to answer. If you don't have
        time, skip it, but an answer would be also very much appreciated. One
        is the sleep function. Although I have set a NTP server to
        automatically synchronise the date and time in my Linkstation (and it
        seems to work), i cannot use the sleep function at all - whenever I
        set the sleep function on (i.e. from 3am to 6am - but it is now let's
        say 8pm), the Linkstation falls asleep immediatelly and I have to turn
        this function pernamently off. Is this a normal behaviour? Did i do
        something wrong? (i tried setting the time manually, using different
        server etc., nothing worked).
        Second question is aimed to the possibility of connecting this
        Linkstation to my DivX video player (Manta Lord) that allows mass
        storage devices to connect via USB (it works with my 2.5" external
        hdd). But would it work with this Linkstation? That's the question :)

        I know this set of questions is long but after my exams I have some
        time to spend on it and I would really like to with some support :) If
        u help me a bit, I will be very grateful.

        With respect,
        Jan.
      • pfink
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
          jan_bakalar wrote:

          > 1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
          > found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
          > able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
          > the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
          > remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
          > let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
          > router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
          > won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
          > stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
          > guidance.

          You have to configure your router to forward incoming
          FTP traffic (port 21) to the 192.168.x.x address of
          your Linkstation. You would then FTP to the Linkstation
          from outside your LAN using the public IP address supplied
          by your ISP.

          Instructions for configuring port forwarding should
          be explained in the user manual for your particular
          router.
        • jan_bakalar
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:

            > jan_bakalar wrote:
            > >
            > > 1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
            > > found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
            > > able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
            > > the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
            > > remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
            > > let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
            > > router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
            > > won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
            > > stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
            > > guidance.
            >
            > You have to configure your router to forward incoming
            > FTP traffic (port 21) to the 192.168.x.x address of
            > your Linkstation. You would then FTP to the Linkstation
            > from outside your LAN using the public IP address supplied
            > by your ISP.
            >
            > Instructions for configuring port forwarding should
            > be explained in the user manual for your particular
            > router.

            Thank you very much indeed. I found out there was an interference in
            ports that was fixed by an update of firmware and reseting of port
            forwarding rules. FTP is working now, great job guys! Now, is it
            secure? :) I use a username and long password, but I'm not sure it is
            enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation does not seem to have
            anything to protect itself. Is that why so many users went for the
            alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website? Thx in advance!
          • KeepIt SimpleStupid
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
              --- jan_bakalar <jan_bakalar@...> wrote:

              > should
              > > be explained in the user manual for your
              > particular
              > > router.
              > >

              > Now, is it
              > secure? :) I use a username and long password, but
              > I'm not sure it is
              > enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation
              > does not seem to have
              > anything to protect itself. Is that why so many
              > users went for the
              > alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website?
              > Thx in advance!

              FTP passes passwords in cleartext. Therefore, it's
              not secure. The replacement for FTP and Telnet which
              both place passwords in the clear is SCP and SSH.

              The latter offers encryption and public and private
              keys. It can even authorize to a host. It can use a
              DNS lookup and then determine who your are based on
              your IP address which will fix man in the middle
              attacks or tunneling. Connections can be "password
              less" relying totally on the exchange of keys or it
              can use a password + keys. The first time you make a
              connection with ssh a key is created. You need to do
              some extra work to make the connections without a
              password.

              http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/