Running FTP on HD-H300LAN

  • jan_bakalar
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2007
      Greetings,

      I bought a Linkstation HD-H300LAN last year for network sharing,
      however recently I would also appreciate an FTP function, if it can do
      it. The question is, what do I need to download as I have no knowledge
      of Linux (only Slax for PC-rescue purposes). Is this HDD actually
      capable of running as a FTP server behind a router (Netgear D384G)? I
      tried to find the information in the forum (also Linkstation Wiki
      forums) but I don't even know the differences between ppc, mipsel and
      arm9 based software etc. Is it really so difficult to set up?

      Thanks for your time and answers.
      Jan Bakalar
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 10, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "jan_bakalar"
        <jan_bakalar@...> wrote:

        > Greetings,
        >
        > I bought a Linkstation HD-H300LAN last year for network sharing,
        > however recently I would also appreciate an FTP function, if it can do
        > it. The question is, what do I need to download as I have no knowledge
        > of Linux (only Slax for PC-rescue purposes). Is this HDD actually
        > capable of running as a FTP server behind a router (Netgear D384G)? I
        > tried to find the information in the forum (also Linkstation Wiki
        > forums) but I don't even know the differences between ppc, mipsel and
        > arm9 based software etc. Is it really so difficult to set up?
        >
        > Thanks for your time and answers.
        > Jan Bakalar

        This linkstation has a basic, unsecure FTP server built in with the
        stock firmware. There should be instructions in the manual for
        setting that up, but basically, you first have to add some users in
        the web interface, located at http://ipaddress_of_linkstation , then
        there should be an FTP setup in the network? menu, don't quote me on
        the exact place. You then enable registered user or anonymous FTP and
        check the folders that you want FTP access to. Then, if I remember
        correctly, you set which users can have access to the FTP folder in
        the shared folder settings.

        One last thing is to enable port forwarding in your router/gateway for
        tcp ports 20 and 21 to the IP of the linkstation.
        more info here: http://www.portforward.com

        If you are looking for more advanced FTP functionality, like SFTP,
        secure FTP, you may want to look into the openlink variants.
        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink

        but you will need to know what linkstation version you have. Easiest
        way, if there is a X - II switch on the back of your linkstation for
        patch/crossover connection, then you have a PPC linkstation, else you
        have a Mipsel linkstation.

        I looked around, and cant find references to sftp for openlink, so I
        may be wrong about that, but there is still development, and you
        could ask for additional help here or at
        http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/

        Hope this helps,

        Goat
      • jan_bakalar
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
          Goat wrote:

          > This linkstation has a basic, unsecure FTP server built in with the
          > stock firmware. There should be instructions in the manual for
          > setting that up, but basically, you first have to add some users in
          > the web interface, located at http://ipaddress_of_linkstation , then
          > there should be an FTP setup in the network? menu, don't quote me on
          > the exact place. You then enable registered user or anonymous FTP and
          > check the folders that you want FTP access to. Then, if I remember
          > correctly, you set which users can have access to the FTP folder in
          > the shared folder settings.
          >
          > One last thing is to enable port forwarding in your router/gateway for
          > tcp ports 20 and 21 to the IP of the linkstation.
          > more info here: http://www.portforward.com
          >

          > If you are looking for more advanced FTP functionality, like SFTP,
          > secure FTP, you may want to look into the openlink variants.
          > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Category:OpenLink
          >
          > but you will need to know what linkstation version you have. Easiest
          > way, if there is a X - II switch on the back of your linkstation for
          > patch/crossover connection, then you have a PPC linkstation, else you
          > have a Mipsel linkstation.
          >
          > I looked around, and cant find references to sftp for openlink, so I
          > may be wrong about that, but there is still development, and you
          > could ask for additional help here or at
          > http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          >
          > Goat

          Dear Goat

          thank you very much for such a useful answer. I spent a whole morning
          just by reading the linstationwiki FAQ to find out more about my
          Linkstation and what is it capable to do. I also tried the tips for
          FTP you posted. As this whole stuff seems to be more complex than I
          thought, I'm partly discouraged and partly excited about the new
          possiblities (that seem so hard to be reached).

          1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
          found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
          able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
          the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
          remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
          let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
          router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
          won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
          stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
          guidance.

          2. By installing the openlink firmware that seems to be so much better
          than the stock Buffalo firmware, I am very afraid that something would
          go wrong and all the data would go away (there is too much data to
          back up!). However, if the FTP function is not secure, I may still
          try. But where to start? The wesbite
          (http://downloads.linkstationwiki.net)sounds extremely confusing -
          although I know that I should go to a folder for Mipsel-based
          Likstation, there are many files in there anyway. I would be even
          willing to pay someone to help me with it (i.e. via paypal) just to
          have it done (i.e via ICQ or MSN etc.). So, if I want to do so, i will
          be very grateful (I am already actually ;)) So far I understand that
          the internal hdd (300gb) is divided to 3 parts, so the data part (last
          one) should not be affected by flashing the memory, but you never know
          what may happen in hands of an unexperienced person..

          3. Lastly I have two easier questions to answer. If you don't have
          time, skip it, but an answer would be also very much appreciated. One
          is the sleep function. Although I have set a NTP server to
          automatically synchronise the date and time in my Linkstation (and it
          seems to work), i cannot use the sleep function at all - whenever I
          set the sleep function on (i.e. from 3am to 6am - but it is now let's
          say 8pm), the Linkstation falls asleep immediatelly and I have to turn
          this function pernamently off. Is this a normal behaviour? Did i do
          something wrong? (i tried setting the time manually, using different
          server etc., nothing worked).
          Second question is aimed to the possibility of connecting this
          Linkstation to my DivX video player (Manta Lord) that allows mass
          storage devices to connect via USB (it works with my 2.5" external
          hdd). But would it work with this Linkstation? That's the question :)

          I know this set of questions is long but after my exams I have some
          time to spend on it and I would really like to with some support :) If
          u help me a bit, I will be very grateful.

          With respect,
          Jan.
        • pfink
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 11, 2007
            jan_bakalar wrote:

            > 1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
            > found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
            > able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
            > the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
            > remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
            > let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
            > router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
            > won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
            > stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
            > guidance.

            You have to configure your router to forward incoming
            FTP traffic (port 21) to the 192.168.x.x address of
            your Linkstation. You would then FTP to the Linkstation
            from outside your LAN using the public IP address supplied
            by your ISP.

            Instructions for configuring port forwarding should
            be explained in the user manual for your particular
            router.
          • jan_bakalar
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, pfink <pfink@...> wrote:

              > jan_bakalar wrote:
              > >
              > > 1. Firstly, about the FTP. My idea was to use the Linkstation (that I
              > > found out is Mipsel-based - aka LS2) to share a folder that i will be
              > > able to access from a anywhere in the world via the internet. However,
              > > the Linkstation is behind a router (192.168.0.1). My router allows
              > > remote configuration (using an external IP address), but this won't
              > > let me to reach the Linkstation (i guess this is just to set-up the
              > > router remotely not anything else). So, I personally think, that it
              > > won't be possible to access the Linkstation outside the LAN with the
              > > stock firmware. If it is possible, then I would very appreciate your
              > > guidance.
              >
              > You have to configure your router to forward incoming
              > FTP traffic (port 21) to the 192.168.x.x address of
              > your Linkstation. You would then FTP to the Linkstation
              > from outside your LAN using the public IP address supplied
              > by your ISP.
              >
              > Instructions for configuring port forwarding should
              > be explained in the user manual for your particular
              > router.

              Thank you very much indeed. I found out there was an interference in
              ports that was fixed by an update of firmware and reseting of port
              forwarding rules. FTP is working now, great job guys! Now, is it
              secure? :) I use a username and long password, but I'm not sure it is
              enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation does not seem to have
              anything to protect itself. Is that why so many users went for the
              alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website? Thx in advance!
            • KeepIt SimpleStupid
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 12, 2007
                --- jan_bakalar <jan_bakalar@...> wrote:

                > should
                > > be explained in the user manual for your
                > particular
                > > router.
                > >

                > Now, is it
                > secure? :) I use a username and long password, but
                > I'm not sure it is
                > enough as the port is opened and the Linsktation
                > does not seem to have
                > anything to protect itself. Is that why so many
                > users went for the
                > alternative firmwares from linkstationwiki website?
                > Thx in advance!

                FTP passes passwords in cleartext. Therefore, it's
                not secure. The replacement for FTP and Telnet which
                both place passwords in the clear is SCP and SSH.

                The latter offers encryption and public and private
                keys. It can even authorize to a host. It can use a
                DNS lookup and then determine who your are based on
                your IP address which will fix man in the middle
                attacks or tunneling. Connections can be "password
                less" relying totally on the exchange of keys or it
                can use a password + keys. The first time you make a
                connection with ssh a key is created. You need to do
                some extra work to make the connections without a
                password.

                http://autos.yahoo.com/carfinder/