Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: a QUITE Linkstation?

  • Wladston Viana
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
      Bluemax,

      I was told that 42 ohm should slow the fan down for about 70%.

      And there are scripts that monitor the hdd temperature and can ask the fan to spin faster if needed.

      Now all I really need is a 42 ohm resistor to move on!!! :)

      On 6/8/07, bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

      When LS is placed on a table, noise is at its worst. I placed it on a
      mousemat with high density foam backing and the drop in noise
      was very noticeable. Then I put the LS on its side, on the carpet in
      a small area under the bottom shelf. Now it is quite enough to live
      with.

      LS is a good looking design. So it's a shame to hide it away like
      this. Can't see the LEDs either. So I look forward to the mods that
      Wladston is planning to develop :-)

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"

      --
      Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
      Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
        Dear Linkstation fiddlers,

        I am afraid that my experience with modern fast 3.5 inch
        drives is that they run noisy and hot. if you want to stick
        to 3.5 rives the only way to run them is to have a bigger
        box and move more air. This is not possible with the
        linkstation. I have a PVR which has a quiet 160 Gb drive.
        The thing is not quiet. I have had to sit it on my
        proprietary noise sink to make it usable in my living room.
        The best way to do the job is use a 2.5 system drive and a
        3.5 storage drive in a larger box.

        In any case good luck.
        Mike.

        LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,
        > > "bluemax_101"
        > >
        > > <bluemax_101@...> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can
        > be
        > > > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy
        > only some of the
        > > > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
        > > >
        > > > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from
        > elsewhere. The
        > > > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of
        > anti-vibration
        > > > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and
        > DVD players.
        > > >
        > > > --- In

        LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,

        > bits

        > we can
        > > monitor
        > > > the HD's
        > the fan spins
        > > > generating
        > only goes to
        > > > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the
        > point it
        > > might
        > > > fail...

        > ???
        > fire when you are

        > this issue :)

        > question, why do you

        > use it as a
        > > simple
        > download stuff from
        > > > the
        > music and
        > > > movies). And
        > house to be able
        > > > to use the
        > even when I'm
        > > > sleep...
        > > >

        > --
        > Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
        > Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
        > Computer Science student (UFMG)
        > Visit the project: s1mp3.org

      • Wladston Viana
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
          That's another problem ... I'm not a computer-case-designer .... :/

          --
          Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
          Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
          Computer Science student (UFMG)
          Visit the project: s1mp3.org
        • bluemax_101
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
            I hope I don't get banned for saying this here but was adviced
            recetly that Qnap TS-101 is fanless and quite. But much more
            expensive.

            Has anyone tried water-cooling their Linkstations?

            ;-)