Re: a QUITE Linkstation?

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 8 10:17 AM
      When LS is placed on a table, noise is at its worst. I placed it on a
      mousemat with high density foam backing and the drop in noise
      was very noticeable. Then I put the LS on its side, on the carpet in
      a small area under the bottom shelf. Now it is quite enough to live
      with.

      LS is a good looking design. So it's a shame to hide it away like
      this. Can't see the LEDs either. So I look forward to the mods that
      Wladston is planning to develop :-)

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
      <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

      > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can be
      > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy only some of the
      > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
      >
      > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from elsewhere. The
      > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of anti-vibration
      > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and DVD players.
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Wladston Viana"
      > <wladston@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks for the answers man!
      > >
      > > If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
      > > > inside will overheat an fail.
      > >

      > > Well, considering it has two modes, and considering we can
      monitor
      > the HD's
      > > temperature, maybe we can have a silent mode, where the fan spins
      > generating
      > > no noticeable noise, and a full spin, so the device only goes to
      > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the point it
      might
      > fail...
      > >
      > > what do you think about that ?
      > >
      > > What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
      > > > You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
      > > > asleep.
      > >
      > > auch .... okay, let's think of another way to solve this issue :)
      > >
      > > BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
      > > > want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?
      > >
      > > For three strong reasons ... the first, I want to use it as a
      simple
      > > webserver to the public, second, I want it to download stuff from
      > the
      > > internet when I'm sleeping (such as copyright-free music and
      > movies). And
      > > last, because I want the guys on the rest of the house to be able
      > to use the
      > > resources on the LS (actually I have a kurobox ;), even when I'm
      > sleep...

    • Wladston Viana
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 8 10:46 AM
        Bluemax,

        I was told that 42 ohm should slow the fan down for about 70%.

        And there are scripts that monitor the hdd temperature and can ask the fan to spin faster if needed.

        Now all I really need is a 42 ohm resistor to move on!!! :)

        --
        Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
        Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 8 12:08 PM
          Dear Linkstation fiddlers,

          I am afraid that my experience with modern fast 3.5 inch
          drives is that they run noisy and hot. if you want to stick
          to 3.5 rives the only way to run them is to have a bigger
          box and move more air. This is not possible with the
          linkstation. I have a PVR which has a quiet 160 Gb drive.
          The thing is not quiet. I have had to sit it on my
          proprietary noise sink to make it usable in my living room.
          The best way to do the job is use a 2.5 system drive and a
          3.5 storage drive in a larger box.

          In any case good luck.
          Mike.

          LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,
          > > "bluemax_101"
          > >
          > > <bluemax_101@...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can
          > be
          > > > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy
          > only some of the
          > > > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
          > > >
          > > > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from
          > elsewhere. The
          > > > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of
          > anti-vibration
          > > > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and
          > DVD players.
          > > >
          > > > --- In

          LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,

          > bits

          > we can
          > > monitor
          > > > the HD's
          > the fan spins
          > > > generating
          > only goes to
          > > > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the
          > point it
          > > might
          > > > fail...

          > ???
          > fire when you are

          > this issue :)

          > question, why do you

          > use it as a
          > > simple
          > download stuff from
          > > > the
          > music and
          > > > movies). And
          > house to be able
          > > > to use the
          > even when I'm
          > > > sleep...
          > > >

          > --
          > Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
          > Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
          > Computer Science student (UFMG)
          > Visit the project: s1mp3.org

        • Wladston Viana
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8 12:38 PM
            That's another problem ... I'm not a computer-case-designer .... :/

            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8 3:26 PM
              I hope I don't get banned for saying this here but was adviced
              recetly that Qnap TS-101 is fanless and quite. But much more
              expensive.

              Has anyone tried water-cooling their Linkstations?

              ;-)