Re: a QUITE Linkstation?

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2007
      Wladston...
      Fan is required because of the way LS is built. It is there for a
      purpose. If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
      inside will overheat an fail.

      What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
      You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
      asleep.
      BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
      want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?
      LOL

      Job CF
      West Sussex

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Wladston Viana"
      <wladston@...> wrote:

      > The noise is also very annoying to me ...
      >
      > I was thinking about putting a resistor between the fan and the
      power
      > source, to reduce the rotation ... anyone ever tried that ??
      >
      > Also .. what can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
      >
      > I was fooled by that "the fan is ultra-silent" thing ... It looks
      like a jet
      > when I'm trying to sleep .. LOL :)
      >

      > On 6/4/07, bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

      Fan and HD noise in my HD-H160LAN LS2 is annoying. Another LS owner
      checked it and told me that this is normal for LS2.
      Are there any other Linksation NAS models out there that are fanless?

      Like the modern external HDs in heat dissipitating aluminum cases
      that do not require a fan?

      > > Thanks
      >
      > --
      > Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
      > Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
      > Computer Science student (UFMG)
      > Visit the project: s1mp3.org
    • Wladston Viana
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2007
        Thanks for the answers man!

        If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
        inside will overheat an fail.

        Well, considering it has two modes, and considering we can monitor the HD's temperature, maybe we can have a silent mode, where the fan spins generating no noticeable noise, and a full spin, so the device only goes to the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the point it might fail...

        what do you think about that ?

        What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
        You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
        asleep.

        auch .... okay, let's think of another way to solve  this issue :)

        BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
        want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?

        For tree strong reasons ... the first, I want to use it as a simple webserver to the public, second, I want it to download stuff from the internet when I'm sleeping (such as copyright-free music and movies).  And last, because I want the guys on the rest of the house to be able to use the resources on the LS (actually I have a kurobox ;), even when I'm sleep...

      • bluemax_101
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2007
          Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can be
          thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy only some of the
          time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.

          I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from elsewhere. The
          plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of anti-vibration
          pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and DVD players.

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
            When LS is placed on a table, noise is at its worst. I placed it on a
            mousemat with high density foam backing and the drop in noise
            was very noticeable. Then I put the LS on its side, on the carpet in
            a small area under the bottom shelf. Now it is quite enough to live
            with.

            LS is a good looking design. So it's a shame to hide it away like
            this. Can't see the LEDs either. So I look forward to the mods that
            Wladston is planning to develop :-)

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
            <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

            > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can be
            > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy only some of the
            > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
            >
            > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from elsewhere. The
            > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of anti-vibration
            > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and DVD players.
            >
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Wladston Viana"
            > <wladston@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Thanks for the answers man!
            > >
            > > If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
            > > > inside will overheat an fail.
            > >

            > > Well, considering it has two modes, and considering we can
            monitor
            > the HD's
            > > temperature, maybe we can have a silent mode, where the fan spins
            > generating
            > > no noticeable noise, and a full spin, so the device only goes to
            > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the point it
            might
            > fail...
            > >
            > > what do you think about that ?
            > >
            > > What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
            > > > You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
            > > > asleep.
            > >
            > > auch .... okay, let's think of another way to solve this issue :)
            > >
            > > BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
            > > > want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?
            > >
            > > For three strong reasons ... the first, I want to use it as a
            simple
            > > webserver to the public, second, I want it to download stuff from
            > the
            > > internet when I'm sleeping (such as copyright-free music and
            > movies). And
            > > last, because I want the guys on the rest of the house to be able
            > to use the
            > > resources on the LS (actually I have a kurobox ;), even when I'm
            > sleep...

          • Wladston Viana
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
              Bluemax,

              I was told that 42 ohm should slow the fan down for about 70%.

              And there are scripts that monitor the hdd temperature and can ask the fan to spin faster if needed.

              Now all I really need is a 42 ohm resistor to move on!!! :)

              --
              Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
              Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
              Computer Science student (UFMG)
              Visit the project: s1mp3.org
            • mike redman
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                Dear Linkstation fiddlers,

                I am afraid that my experience with modern fast 3.5 inch
                drives is that they run noisy and hot. if you want to stick
                to 3.5 rives the only way to run them is to have a bigger
                box and move more air. This is not possible with the
                linkstation. I have a PVR which has a quiet 160 Gb drive.
                The thing is not quiet. I have had to sit it on my
                proprietary noise sink to make it usable in my living room.
                The best way to do the job is use a 2.5 system drive and a
                3.5 storage drive in a larger box.

                In any case good luck.
                Mike.

                LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,
                > > "bluemax_101"
                > >
                > > <bluemax_101@...> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can
                > be
                > > > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy
                > only some of the
                > > > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
                > > >
                > > > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from
                > elsewhere. The
                > > > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of
                > anti-vibration
                > > > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and
                > DVD players.
                > > >
                > > > --- In

                LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,

                > bits

                > we can
                > > monitor
                > > > the HD's
                > the fan spins
                > > > generating
                > only goes to
                > > > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the
                > point it
                > > might
                > > > fail...

                > ???
                > fire when you are

                > this issue :)

                > question, why do you

                > use it as a
                > > simple
                > download stuff from
                > > > the
                > music and
                > > > movies). And
                > house to be able
                > > > to use the
                > even when I'm
                > > > sleep...
                > > >

                > --
                > Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
                > Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
                > Computer Science student (UFMG)
                > Visit the project: s1mp3.org

              • Wladston Viana
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                  That's another problem ... I'm not a computer-case-designer .... :/

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                    I hope I don't get banned for saying this here but was adviced
                    recetly that Qnap TS-101 is fanless and quite. But much more
                    expensive.

                    Has anyone tried water-cooling their Linkstations?

                    ;-)