a QUITE Linkstation?

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 4, 2007
      Fan and HD noise in my HD-H160LAN LS2 is annoying. Another LS owner
      checked it and told me that this is normal for LS2.

      Are there any other Linksation NAS models out there that are fanless?
      Like the modern external HDs in heat dissipitating aluminum cases that
      do not require a fan?

      Thanks
    • Wladston Viana
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 4, 2007
        The noise is also very annoying to me ...

        I was thinking about putting a resistor between the fan and the power source, to reduce the rotation ... anyone ever tried that ??

        Also .. what can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???

        I was fooled by that "the fan is ultra-silent" thing ... It looks like a jet when I'm trying to sleep .. LOL :)

        On 6/4/07, bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

        Fan and HD noise in my HD-H160LAN LS2 is annoying. Another LS owner
        checked it and told me that this is normal for LS2.

        Are there any other Linksation NAS models out there that are fanless?
        Like the modern external HDs in heat dissipitating aluminum cases that
        do not require a fan?

        Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
        Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
        Computer Science student (UFMG)
        Visit the project: s1mp3.org
      • bluemax_101
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 4, 2007
          Wladston...
          Fan is required because of the way LS is built. It is there for a
          purpose. If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
          inside will overheat an fail.

          What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
          You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
          asleep.
          BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
          want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?
          LOL

          Job CF
          West Sussex

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Wladston Viana"
          <wladston@...> wrote:

          > The noise is also very annoying to me ...
          >
          > I was thinking about putting a resistor between the fan and the
          power
          > source, to reduce the rotation ... anyone ever tried that ??
          >
          > Also .. what can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
          >
          > I was fooled by that "the fan is ultra-silent" thing ... It looks
          like a jet
          > when I'm trying to sleep .. LOL :)
          >

          > On 6/4/07, bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

          Fan and HD noise in my HD-H160LAN LS2 is annoying. Another LS owner
          checked it and told me that this is normal for LS2.
          Are there any other Linksation NAS models out there that are fanless?

          Like the modern external HDs in heat dissipitating aluminum cases
          that do not require a fan?

          > > Thanks
          >
          > --
          > Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
          > Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
          > Computer Science student (UFMG)
          > Visit the project: s1mp3.org
        • Wladston Viana
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 5, 2007
            Thanks for the answers man!

            If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
            inside will overheat an fail.

            Well, considering it has two modes, and considering we can monitor the HD's temperature, maybe we can have a silent mode, where the fan spins generating no noticeable noise, and a full spin, so the device only goes to the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the point it might fail...

            what do you think about that ?

            What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
            You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
            asleep.

            auch .... okay, let's think of another way to solve  this issue :)

            BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
            want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?

            For tree strong reasons ... the first, I want to use it as a simple webserver to the public, second, I want it to download stuff from the internet when I'm sleeping (such as copyright-free music and movies).  And last, because I want the guys on the rest of the house to be able to use the resources on the LS (actually I have a kurobox ;), even when I'm sleep...

          • bluemax_101
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 5, 2007
              Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can be
              thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy only some of the
              time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.

              I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from elsewhere. The
              plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of anti-vibration
              pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and DVD players.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                When LS is placed on a table, noise is at its worst. I placed it on a
                mousemat with high density foam backing and the drop in noise
                was very noticeable. Then I put the LS on its side, on the carpet in
                a small area under the bottom shelf. Now it is quite enough to live
                with.

                LS is a good looking design. So it's a shame to hide it away like
                this. Can't see the LEDs either. So I look forward to the mods that
                Wladston is planning to develop :-)

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"
                <bluemax_101@...> wrote:

                > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can be
                > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy only some of the
                > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
                >
                > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from elsewhere. The
                > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of anti-vibration
                > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and DVD players.
                >
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Wladston Viana"
                > <wladston@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks for the answers man!
                > >
                > > If you do anything that affect its performance, the bits
                > > > inside will overheat an fail.
                > >

                > > Well, considering it has two modes, and considering we can
                monitor
                > the HD's
                > > temperature, maybe we can have a silent mode, where the fan spins
                > generating
                > > no noticeable noise, and a full spin, so the device only goes to
                > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the point it
                might
                > fail...
                > >
                > > what do you think about that ?
                > >
                > > What can happen if I just remove that annoying fan ???
                > > > You will be able to sleep but you LS may catch fire when you are
                > > > asleep.
                > >
                > > auch .... okay, let's think of another way to solve this issue :)
                > >
                > > BTW. If you don't mind me asking a personal question, why do you
                > > > want to the LS on when you are trying to sleep?
                > >
                > > For three strong reasons ... the first, I want to use it as a
                simple
                > > webserver to the public, second, I want it to download stuff from
                > the
                > > internet when I'm sleeping (such as copyright-free music and
                > movies). And
                > > last, because I want the guys on the rest of the house to be able
                > to use the
                > > resources on the LS (actually I have a kurobox ;), even when I'm
                > sleep...

              • Wladston Viana
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                  Bluemax,

                  I was told that 42 ohm should slow the fan down for about 70%.

                  And there are scripts that monitor the hdd temperature and can ask the fan to spin faster if needed.

                  Now all I really need is a 42 ohm resistor to move on!!! :)

                  --
                  Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
                  Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
                  Computer Science student (UFMG)
                  Visit the project: s1mp3.org
                • mike redman
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                    Dear Linkstation fiddlers,

                    I am afraid that my experience with modern fast 3.5 inch
                    drives is that they run noisy and hot. if you want to stick
                    to 3.5 rives the only way to run them is to have a bigger
                    box and move more air. This is not possible with the
                    linkstation. I have a PVR which has a quiet 160 Gb drive.
                    The thing is not quiet. I have had to sit it on my
                    proprietary noise sink to make it usable in my living room.
                    The best way to do the job is use a 2.5 system drive and a
                    3.5 storage drive in a larger box.

                    In any case good luck.
                    Mike.

                    LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,
                    > > "bluemax_101"
                    > >
                    > > <bluemax_101@...> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Good idea! If you can modify it so that the fan can
                    > be
                    > > > thermostatically controlled, the LS will be noisy
                    > only some of the
                    > > > time. I have the Link-theater disabled and that help.
                    > > >
                    > > > I also noticed that some of the noise is coming from
                    > elsewhere. The
                    > > > plastic side panels resonate. May be small pieces of
                    > anti-vibration
                    > > > pads will help. I use them sucessfully inside CD and
                    > DVD players.
                    > > >
                    > > > --- In

                    LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com<LinkStation_General%40yahoogroups.com>,

                    > bits

                    > we can
                    > > monitor
                    > > > the HD's
                    > the fan spins
                    > > > generating
                    > only goes to
                    > > > the full speed mode when the HD is getting hot at the
                    > point it
                    > > might
                    > > > fail...

                    > ???
                    > fire when you are

                    > this issue :)

                    > question, why do you

                    > use it as a
                    > > simple
                    > download stuff from
                    > > > the
                    > music and
                    > > > movies). And
                    > house to be able
                    > > > to use the
                    > even when I'm
                    > > > sleep...
                    > > >

                    > --
                    > Wladston Viana Ferreira Filho
                    > Belo Horizonte - MG, Brasil
                    > Computer Science student (UFMG)
                    > Visit the project: s1mp3.org

                  • Wladston Viana
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                      That's another problem ... I'm not a computer-case-designer .... :/

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 8, 2007
                        I hope I don't get banned for saying this here but was adviced
                        recetly that Qnap TS-101 is fanless and quite. But much more
                        expensive.

                        Has anyone tried water-cooling their Linkstations?

                        ;-)