Re: HD-xxx-LAN - How to plug on the PC and use the HD.

  • lalunas10
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rogerio M. Nakamoto" <rmnakamoto@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello Andre,

      Hi.

      Please refrain from top-posting, I'm too lazy a scroller.

      > > 4. Run fix_ext2_magic on your LS's data partition, optionally also on the
      > > boot partition.
      > >
      > > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Fix_ext2_magic
      > >
      > > 5. Reboot into your Live CD. If the CD supports automount, your LS's data
      > > partition is
      > > mounted as any other partition, so you copy the data to your PC.

      > I could access the HD from the Linux, however I could execute the 4 & 5
      > steps, could you details those steps???

      Copy fix_ext2_magic to a USB thumb drive, plug it in to your PC. Open a Terminal (xterm,
      console, whatever it's called). Run the command "mount". It should tell you about /dev/
      hdb* and /dev/sda* devices mounted. Remove the thumb drive, wait a little, run "mount"
      again, notice the difference, plug it in again. If the thumb drive got mounted on /mnt/
      usb0, run the command "sh /mnt/usb0/fix_ext2_magic <args>". Replace <args> with the
      /dev/hd* of your LS's hard disk. Linux calls internal IDE disks on the first controller /dev/
      hda (first disk) and /dev/hdb (second disk), on the second controller /dev/hdc (first disk)
      and /dev/hdc (second disk). You need to run fix_ext2_magic with the first partition, in a
      second run the third partition of your LS's HDD as its target. Do NOT run it on non-LS
      partitions.

      Once you've done this, reboot. Your HDD should be accessible now by the GUI file
      manager supplied by the live CD.

      -Andre