Cool info regarding Kuro

  • James Ronald
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 4, 2004
      For those not in the know (I just learned this) Kuro seems to be exactly the
      same as the linkstation except only has one USB port and comes without
      a hard drive.

      From what I understand you simply install a hard drive into the unit and run
      the install program from Windows which does all the work of partitioning
      formatting and loading Linux and the applications.  Another cool thing is that
      it already has telnet enabled, the default root password has been set to kuro
      and there is some additional software.

      I already fixed the root password on my linkstation but it would be interesting
      for someone who has not to try the kuro password on a linkstation where
      the root password has not been modified, just for grins, and let us know.

      Another cool thing is that the kuro software should work on the linkstation.
      Although, they are careful not to really say that it will as the kuro and
      linkstation are different products and they do not want to ruffle any feathers.

      I may just pop a different drive in my linkstation and give it a try for tomorrow
      nights entertainment.

      Info regarding the kuro box in English can be found at

      Later,
      JR
    • James Ronald
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 5, 2004
        Well I did a preliminary test and the KuroBoxSetup program did not even
        see the linkstaion box :-( There is however a manual method for installing
        the software that was posted in the Kuro forums this morning which may
        prove useful.

        JR