Re: Accessing LinkStation data in Windows XP SP2

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28 11:03 AM
      Don't know how that space got in the post !!
      Actual commands that entered did not have any spaces.

      I also tried renaming the host name to my name.
      But still no joy.

      Anything to do with windows?

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, <dianalucy00-magnia@...>
      wrote:

      > \\Linkstation_ HD-HLAN4D4
      >
      > If this is a cut and paste, then there is not supposed to be a
      space between the _ and the H.

      > Spaces are not allowed in machinenames.
      >
      > :) linlu
      >
      > bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...>
      wrote: For many days, I have been
      trying to set up this NAS drive.
      > Linkstation HD-HLAN MIPSel (LS2)
      > model : HD-H160LAN (on the label)
      >
      > Ran EasySetup.exe and followed User Manual.
      > All goes well till manual ask me to enter
      > Start, Run, cmd
      > \\Linkstation_HD-HLAN4D4
      > Linkstation root directory is supposed to appear; but it doesn't
      > Instead, I get the error message, "The network location cannot be
      > reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see
      windows
      > help."
      >
      > Also tried Start, Run, cmd
      > \\Linkstation_HD-HLAN4D4
      > \\LSTest
      > \\192.168.1.65
      > \\192.168.1.65\share
      > and
      > \\192.168.1.65\shared
      >
      > I still get error messages.
      >
      > In Buffalo NAS Navigator, when I click on 'view shares' nothing
      > happens. I have set up shares, workgroup, shared folder, group and
      > users. They all show up in the interface.
      >
      > Everything seem to show up and match in NAS Navigator, interface
      for
      > the Linkstation and the interface for the SpeedTouch 780WL
      wireless
      > router.
      >
      > In the 'Maintenance' section allows me to scan format the drive
      also.

      > Ran EasySetup.exe four times now; following instructions from the
      > User Manual step-by-step.
      > Checked and re-checked all the entries in interfaces for
      Linkstation
      > and router and the NAS Navigator. Everything is there and they all
      > match up.
      >
      > What am I doing wrong ?
      > Is there anything I need to do in XP?
      >
      > Many Thanks...
      >

      > For my non-geek friends: Friends don't email friends _Unexpected_
      files. So don't open those types of attachments!!
      > For my geek friends: Adopt a newbie....

    • bluemax_101
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28 6:17 PM
        Problem solved :-)
        Turned out to be incorrect TCP/IP settings in the Windows.
        Details given below in case it help someone else in future:-

        Control Panel > Network Connections > 'Advanced' pulldown menu.
        click 'Advanced Settings'.
        in 'Adapters and Bindings' tab, click 'Local Area Connection', put
        ticks in both boxes for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'

        Go to NAV Navigator, Map Network Drive and so on....

        Free space of 146 GB with this 160 GB drive.
        With another 160GB external drive, NTFS formatted, I got 153 GB.

        BTW. Can I NTFS form at this drive or is it a Linux thingy?

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"