Accessing LinkStation data in Windows XP SP2

  • bluemax_101
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28, 2007
      For many days, I have been trying to set up this NAS drive.
      Linkstation HD-HLAN MIPSel (LS2)
      model : HD-H160LAN (on the label)

      Ran EasySetup.exe and followed User Manual.
      All goes well till manual ask me to enter
      Start, Run, cmd
      \\Linkstation_HD-HLAN4D4
      Linkstation root directory is supposed to appear; but it doesn't
      Instead, I get the error message, "The network location cannot be
      reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see windows
      help."

      Also tried Start, Run, cmd
      \\Linkstation_HD-HLAN4D4
      \\LSTest
      \\192.168.1.65
      \\192.168.1.65\share
      and
      \\192.168.1.65\shared

      I still get error messages.

      In Buffalo NAS Navigator, when I click on 'view shares' nothing
      happens. I have set up shares, workgroup, shared folder, group and
      users. They all show up in the interface.

      Everything seem to show up and match in NAS Navigator, interface for
      the Linkstation and the interface for the SpeedTouch 780WL wireless
      router.

      In the 'Maintenance' section allows me to scan format the drive also.

      Ran EasySetup.exe four times now; following instructions from the
      User Manual step-by-step.
      Checked and re-checked all the entries in interfaces for Linkstation
      and router and the NAS Navigator. Everything is there and they all
      match up.

      What am I doing wrong ?
      Is there anything I need to do in XP?

      Many Thanks...
    • dianalucy00-magnia@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 4 , May 28, 2007
        \\Linkstation_ HD-HLAN4D4

        If this is a cut and paste, then there is not supposed to be a space between the _ and the H.

        Spaces are not allowed in machinenames.

        :) linlu

        bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...> wrote:
[...]

        For my non-geek friends: Friends don't email friends _Unexpected_ files. So don't open those types of attachments!!
        For my geek friends: Adopt a newbie....
      • bluemax_101
        Message 3 of 4 , May 28, 2007
          Don't know how that space got in the post !!
          Actual commands that entered did not have any spaces.

          I also tried renaming the host name to my name.
          But still no joy.

          Anything to do with windows?

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, <dianalucy00-magnia@...>
          wrote:

          > \\Linkstation_ HD-HLAN4D4
          >
          > If this is a cut and paste, then there is not supposed to be a
          space between the _ and the H.

          > Spaces are not allowed in machinenames.
          >
          > :) linlu
          >
          > bluemax_101 <bluemax_101@...>
          wrote: For many days, I have been

          Message 4 of 4 , May 28, 2007
            Problem solved :-)
            Turned out to be incorrect TCP/IP settings in the Windows.
            Details given below in case it help someone else in future:-

            Control Panel > Network Connections > 'Advanced' pulldown menu.
            click 'Advanced Settings'.
            in 'Adapters and Bindings' tab, click 'Local Area Connection', put
            ticks in both boxes for 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'

            Go to NAV Navigator, Map Network Drive and so on....

            Free space of 146 GB with this 160 GB drive.
            With another 160GB external drive, NTFS formatted, I got 153 GB.

            BTW. Can I NTFS form at this drive or is it a Linux thingy?

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "bluemax_101"