Re: [LinkStation_General] Re: HD-xxx-LAN - How to plug on the PC and use the HD.

  • Nick Kasoff
    Message 1 of 8 , May 26, 2007
      LiveCD is Linux which runs completely from your CD ROM drive. Therefore,
      it is not necessary to install it on your computer, just boot from the
      LiveCD.

      Rogerio M. Nakamoto (Poro) wrote:

      > Very sorry for trouble you again.
      > As I am not expert in Computer matters, I would like to know if I
      > should install Linux in my PC.
      > Other question is What is Live CD??
      >
      > Sorry for the basics question.
      >
      > Nakamoto.

    • Rogerio M. Nakamoto (Poro)
      Message 2 of 8 , May 26, 2007
        Thank you.
        I willl try.

        wrote:
        > > Thus, I would like if one of you know how to read the data
        from the HD
        > > plugging it on my PC directly.
        >
        > 1.
        Disassemble your LS

        href="http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation">http://linkstationw iki.net/index. php?title= Disassemble_ the_white_ LinkStation
        > <
        href="http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation">http://linkstationw iki.net/index. php?title= Disassemble_ the_white_ LinkStation>

        2. Turn your PC off, connect your PC's IDE and power cables the the

        LS's Hard Disk Drive.

        > 3. Start the LS, boot your PC into a Linux
        Live CD (e.g. Knoppix,
        > Ubuntu, ...)
        >
        > 4. Run
        fix_ext2_magic on your LS's data partition, optionally also on
        > the boot
        partition.

        href="http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Fix_ext2_magic">http://linkstationw iki.net/index. php?title= Fix_ext2_ magic
        > <
        href="http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Fix_ext2_magic">http://linkstationw iki.net/index. php?title= Fix_ext2_ magic>

        5. Reboot into your Live CD. If the CD supports automount, your LS's

        data partition is
        > mounted as any other partition, so you copy the data
        to your PC.

        > -Andre

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.

      • KeepIt SimpleStupid
        Message 3 of 8 , May 26, 2007
          --- lalunas10 <lalunas10@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rogerio
          > M. Nakamoto ��Poro)
          > <rmnakamoto@...> wrote:

          Since your having a cooling problem, try using an
          external fan (hairdryer on cool, for instance, a
          shop-vac blower output, Any old fan.

          Take a hairdryer apart and cut the thermal fuse out of
          it. It's easy to spot. Silver object about 3 cm long
          and 4 mm thick. Cut both ends.

          If The fan has a pulse output and the LS monitors that
          then your out of luck.

          Aim air flow into opening.

          What's the model of the fan. Maybe we can find a
          source to permantly fix it.

          Does the LS work for a short time and then stop due to
          a thermal problem?

          ____________________________________________________________________________________Pinpoint customers who are looking for what you sell.
          http://searchmarketing.yahoo.com/
        • Rogerio M. Nakamoto
          Message 4 of 8 , May 29, 2007
            Hello Andre,

            thank you very much for the tips...
            I could access the HD from the Linux, however I could execute the 4 & 5 steps, could you details those steps???
            I can't run the file on the LS HD, how do I do??? Help me again, please...

            Thanx again...
            Naka.

            2007/5/26, lalunas10 <lalunas10@...>:

            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Rogerio M. Nakamoto ¡ÊPoro)
            <rmnakamoto@...> wrote:
            > Thus, I would like if one of you know how to read the data from the HD
            > plugging it on my PC directly.

            1. Disassemble your LS

            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation

            2. Turn your PC off, connect your PC's IDE and power cables the the LS's Hard Disk Drive.

            3. Start the LS, boot your PC into a Linux Live CD (e.g. Knoppix, Ubuntu, ...)

            4. Run fix_ext2_magic on your LS's data partition, optionally also on the boot partition.

            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Fix_ext2_magic

            5. Reboot into your Live CD. If the CD supports automount, your LS's data partition is
            mounted as any other partition, so you copy the data to your PC.

            -Andre

          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 8 , May 29, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Rogerio M. Nakamoto" <rmnakamoto@...>
              wrote:

              > Hello Andre,

              Hi.

              Please refrain from top-posting, I'm too lazy a scroller.

              > > 4. Run fix_ext2_magic on your LS's data partition, optionally also on the
              > > boot partition.
              > >
              > > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Fix_ext2_magic
              > >
              > > 5. Reboot into your Live CD. If the CD supports automount, your LS's data
              > > partition is
              > > mounted as any other partition, so you copy the data to your PC.

              > I could access the HD from the Linux, however I could execute the 4 & 5
              > steps, could you details those steps???

              Copy fix_ext2_magic to a USB thumb drive, plug it in to your PC. Open a Terminal (xterm,
              console, whatever it's called). Run the command "mount". It should tell you about /dev/
              hdb* and /dev/sda* devices mounted. Remove the thumb drive, wait a little, run "mount"
              again, notice the difference, plug it in again. If the thumb drive got mounted on /mnt/
              usb0, run the command "sh /mnt/usb0/fix_ext2_magic <args>". Replace <args> with the
              /dev/hd* of your LS's hard disk. Linux calls internal IDE disks on the first controller /dev/
              hda (first disk) and /dev/hdb (second disk), on the second controller /dev/hdc (first disk)
              and /dev/hdc (second disk). You need to run fix_ext2_magic with the first partition, in a
              second run the third partition of your LS's HDD as its target. Do NOT run it on non-LS
              partitions.

              Once you've done this, reboot. Your HDD should be accessible now by the GUI file
              manager supplied by the live CD.

              -Andre