Re: [LinkStation_General] Linkstation HG, drive won't spin down.

  • mike redman
    Message 1 of 3 , May 25, 2007

      how do you know it's the drive? The things have a "silent"
      fan that sounds like a tractor. After buying one of these I
      am not that impressed. It should have come tweakable out of
      the box otherwise severe limitations can be reached.

      I suppose I ought to flash it with freelink.

      you can use the timer function to turn it off at night if
      you wish
      --- chan_dom_au <chan_dom_au@...> wrote:

      > New to the forum. Just bought a new Linkstation HG
      > (HD-HG160LAN),
      > running stock standard firmware 1.61. The drive keep
      > running 24 hours
      > non stop. I believe I read somewhere that the drive
      > should spin down
      > after 30 mins non-activity. I ahve disable ftp, ntp,
      > pcast, makes no
      > difference. Appreciate any help and suggestion.

    • chan_dom_au
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2007
        I tried to use AutoFan to silent it, but AutoFan keep telling me the
        drive is spinning.
        Even I force the drive to spin down with hdparm -y command to force it
        to st/by mode, and it will keep spinning up even it is idle.
        Also, I can hear the disk head seeking every now and then even with
        PCast disabled.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, mike redman