Slimserver on Linkstation pro

  • s9juro
    Message 1 of 3 , May 16, 2007
      Hi
      Firstly i am new and a Linux novice
      I just bough a new linkstation pro with the view to getting a
      squeezebox and installing slimserver on it- I was about to follow the
      steps outlined here: http://fieldnetworks.com/slim/linkstation4.html,
      but I stumbled at the first hurdle.
      In my eagerness to get this system up and runbing i bought a
      linktstation Pro and not a linkstation.
      How does one get slimserver on a linkstation Pro?
    • kd6boo
      Message 2 of 3 , May 25, 2007
        I haven't installed Slimserver on my Linkstation Pro yet, but the
        folks on the LinkStationWiki board have.  Check out this thread:
        http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/viewtopic.php?t=2174

        I recommend that you install the Debian distribution of Linux on a PC
        and then install the Linux version of Slimserver on your PC.  After you
        get it running well, then you can try it on your LS Pro.  It's safer and
        easier to learn about Debian+Slimserver on a PC.   If you make a
        mistake on your PC it won't be difficult to resuscitate it.  If you make a
        bad mistake with your LS Pro, it may take a soldering iron and a lot of
        blood, sweat and tears to fix it.

        You won't be a Linux novice after your done! ;)

        Message 3 of 3 , May 25, 2007
          I nearly forgot this thread,
          http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=32866
          which has greater detail than the LinkStationWiki thread.

          It must also be noted that you will have to flash new firmware,
          FreeLink, onto your LS Pro.  After you do this, you will lose
          the familiar web-based interface of your box.