Getting in to it to clean it

  • amy_morgan_hull
    Message 1 of 4 , May 13, 2007
      Hello all,

      I'm a new member with the objective of getting into the LinkStation to clean it. Looking
      into the fan I can see that it is full of dust monsters. And it seem (sounds) to be running
      louder lately. Is there a way to open it easily without breaking it?

      Thanks,
      Morgan
    • thecreakhead
      Message 2 of 4 , May 14, 2007
        Check out this site
        http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_LinkStation

        I just did this for the first time, and man getting first step done is
        harder then it looks. I think after messing with it for like 1 hour i
        finaly got it open.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "amy_morgan_hull"
        <amy_morgan_hull@...> wrote:

        > Hello all,
        >
        > I'm a new member with the objective of getting into the LinkStation
        to clean it. Looking
        > into the fan I can see that it is full of dust monsters. And it
        seem (sounds) to be running
        > louder lately. Is there a way to open it easily without breaking it?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Morgan

      • Robert
        Message 3 of 4 , May 14, 2007

          Actually, depending on which Linkstation you have, it’s relatively easy to remove the screws/bolts.  Though the link below gives a good look at disassembly, it’s based on an older version of the Linkstation.  I noticed immediately that with my HS-HG500 (Linkstation Live) that there was no screw underneath the FCC label and all were easy to access.  “Popping” the side by sliding out (without breaking anything) was perhaps the hardest part, and that only took about 30 seconds.

          I would, however, recommend that you grab a notepad, put a rough sketch down of the chassis and where you removed support screws.  Perhaps laying them upon the sketch.  This will help you from coming up with extras left over, as I did, when you put everything back together.

          Robert

          <amy_morgan_hull@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > I'm a new member with the objective of getting into the LinkStation
          to clean it. Looking
          > into the fan I can see that it is full of dust monsters. And it
          seem (sounds) to be running
          > louder lately. Is there a way to open it easily without breaking it?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Morgan

        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 4 , May 16, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rjordan@...> wrote:

            > Actually, depending on which Linkstation you have, it's relatively
            easy to
            > remove the screws/bolts. Though the link below gives a good look at
            > disassembly, it's based on an older version of the Linkstation. I
            noticed
            > immediately that with my HS-HG500 (Linkstation Live) that there was
            no screw
            > underneath the FCC label and all were easy to access. "Popping" the
            side by
            > sliding out (without breaking anything) was perhaps the hardest
            part, and
            > that only took about 30 seconds.
            >

            > I would, however, recommend that you grab a notepad, put a rough
            sketch down
            > of the chassis and where you removed support screws. Perhaps laying
            them
            > upon the sketch. This will help you from coming up with extras left
            over,
            > as I did, when you put everything back together.
            >

            > Robert

            I would agree with Robert, I would like to point out that mindbender
            made a video of the disassembly process for the newer, live and pro
            models.

            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_LS_Pro

            hope this helps