Active drive

  • R.E. Jordan
    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2007
      Is it a standard of the Linkstation to stay "noisy" with the hard drive
      active all the time? For the last 10 days, since my Linkstation
      Gigabit was re-installed (the first one cratered two days after
      installing), I have been listening to the drive create the same noise
      as one would hear if a drive was being "de-fraged". With exception of
      an occassional 30-60 second quiet time, it continues to make noise. We
      are not talking fan noise, but hard drive noise.

      Diagnostics don't show anything abnormal. The firmware is current -
      version 1.03, though not the most current per what the group messages
      show.
    • Nick Kasoff
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2007
        Neither of mine did that. But mine were LS Pros, maybe the Gigabit is
        different. But I can't imagine why the HD would be constantly
        churning, makes no sense.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "R.E. Jordan"
        <rjordan@...> wrote:

        > Is it a standard of the Linkstation to stay "noisy" with the hard drive
        > active all the time? For the last 10 days, since my Linkstation
        > Gigabit was re-installed (the first one cratered two days after
        > installing), I have been listening to the drive create the same noise
        > as one would hear if a drive was being "de-fraged". With exception of
        > an occassional 30-60 second quiet time, it continues to make noise. We
        > are not talking fan noise, but hard drive noise.
        >
        > Diagnostics don't show anything abnormal. The firmware is current -
        > version 1.03, though not the most current per what the group messages
        > show.

      • musikgoat
        Message 3 of 7 , May 6, 2007
          <rjordan@...> wrote:

          > Is it a standard of the Linkstation to stay "noisy" with the hard drive
          > active all the time? For the last 10 days, since my Linkstation
          > Gigabit was re-installed (the first one cratered two days after
          > installing), I have been listening to the drive create the same noise
          > as one would hear if a drive was being "de-fraged". With exception of
          > an occassional 30-60 second quiet time, it continues to make noise. We
          > are not talking fan noise, but hard drive noise.
          >
          > Diagnostics don't show anything abnormal. The firmware is current -
          > version 1.03, though not the most current per what the group messages
          > show.

          version 1.03 firmware? This isn't a linkstation gigabit, i couldn't
          imagine.

          Is it a Linkstation Live? what is the model # on the back?

          I've read that this issue is common with the Live's and is happening
          because of the media server built in. If you are not utilizing that
          function, disable it in the web administration and the sound should go
          away.

          Hope this helps.
        • Robert
          Message 4 of 7 , May 6, 2007

            It’s a Linkstation Live (Gigabit), Model HS-HG500GL, firmware is version 1.03.

            Message 5 of 7 , May 6, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Robert" <rjordan@...> wrote:

              > It's a Linkstation Live (Gigabit), Model HS-HG500GL, firmware is version
              > 1.03.

              So did turning off the media server (PCast) help?
            • Robert
              Message 6 of 7 , May 6, 2007

                Matter of fact, that was the fix!  Thanks for the suggestion, as I could not find any help at the Buffalo site.

                I meant to email back, but it’s been “one of those days”, in which my wife had projects lined up….. J

                Robert

                > It's a Linkstation Live (Gigabit), Model HS-HG500GL, firmware is version
                > 1.03.

              • bluemax_101
                Message 7 of 7 , May 29, 2007
                  I came across this thread by chance. Noise from LS was annoying me
                  too to the extent I has to put it flat on the carpet under the bottom
                  shelf! I tried the tip by 'musikgoat' and it worked with my humble HD-
                  H160LAN also :-) Did not at first; then I switched it off and on
                  again.

                  Now the LS is back on the top shelf and looking good! Noise was
                  reduced further by placing a foam backed mouse mat under the LS.

                  Plasic sides of my LS vibrates. May sticking small peices of anti-
                  vibration pads (as used inside car door panels) inside will cure that.