USB Sound (Freelink +2.6)

  • rzj7l2
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 19 1:21 PM
      Folks,

      has anyone managed to get a Freelinked LS I plus 2.6 kernel play some
      music?

      I am trying to make my LS I work with a USB soundcard. What I have
      done so far:
      * LS I with fresh Freelink 1.11 installation
      * Performed a dist-upgrade and some minor installs like SSH
      * Upgraded to 2.6.20 Kernel using the latest update scripts at
      http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads
      * Installed usb-utils 0.72-7, hotplug 0.0.200040329-26, alsa-base
      1.0.13-5, alsa-oss 1.0.12-1, alsa-utils 1.0.13-2

      But alsaconf won't find a soundcard
      alsamixer says: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device
      aplay complaints about not finding card 0

      Is anyone willing to help me? My linux know-how is ...errrmmm...
      well.... lets say limited. I searched for two nights now and haven't
      found a starting point. The C-Media chipset seems quite popular and
      works out of the box for most users. But not for me :-(

      Many Thanks
      rabbi

      Here are some output snippets that might be relevant:
      lsusb:
      Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0d8c:000c C-Media Electronics, Inc. Audio Adapter

      dmesg:
      usbcore: registered new interface driver ub
      usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio
      usbcore: registered new interface driver hiddev
      input: C-Media USB Headphone Set as /class/input/input0
      input: USB HID v1.00 Device [C-Media USB Headphone Set ] on
      usb-0000:00:0e.1-1
      usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
      drivers/usb/input/hid-core.c: v2.6:USB HID core driver

      lsmod (after reboot, running alsaconf removes most of them):
      Module Size Used by
      ipv6 327176 14
      usbhid 30180 0
      hid 44352 1 usbhid
      snd_usb_audio 99616 0
      snd_pcm_oss 56416 0
      snd_mixer_oss 21920 1 snd_pcm_oss
      snd_pcm 97060 2 snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss
      snd_page_alloc 11848 1 snd_pcm
      snd_usb_lib 20544 1 snd_usb_audio
      snd_seq_dummy 4260 0
      snd_seq_oss 43956 0
      snd_seq_midi 10368 0
      snd_seq_midi_event 8640 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
      snd_seq 65664 6
      snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
      snd_timer 27876 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
      snd_rawmidi 30848 2 snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_midi
      snd_seq_device 10028 5
      snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi
      snd_hwdep 11236 1 snd_usb_audio
      snd 71956 12
      snd_usb_audio,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_usb_lib,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_hwdep
      soundcore 9380 1 snd
      ub 23488 0
      dm_snapshot 22112 0
      dm_mirror 26836 0
      dm_mod 72044 2 dm_snapshot,dm_mirror
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21 10:33 PM
        You probably don't have a /dev/snd directory, or don't have permissions to use it (if
        your are not root). There should be some entries in there to access the device. No,
        I'm still using the OSS driver with kernel 2.4.x (I really need to get up-to-date
        someday) for my C-media device on my LS, but I've got alsa on many of my PC's here
        is what one directory looks like for /dev/snd:

        bash-3.2# ls -l snd
        total 0
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 116, 0 2007-04-21 15:14 controlC0
        crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 116, 24 2007-04-21 15:14 pcmC0D0c
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 116, 16 2007-04-21 15:14 pcmC0D0p
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 116, 17 2007-04-21 15:14 pcmC0D1p
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 116, 18 2007-04-21 15:14 pcmC0D2p
        crw-rw--w- 1 root audio 116, 27 2007-04-21 15:14 pcmC0D3c
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 116, 1 2007-04-21 15:14 seq
        crw-rw-rw- 1 root audio 116, 33 2007-04-21 15:14 timer

        This is for a Yamaha YMF PCI card, which also has midi capability, hence some of the
        extra entries like "seq" and "timer".

        Part of the problem might be that with that kernel you really should be using udev
        instead of hotplug and these entries should be created automatically (apt-get install
        udev). You can make them manually with mknod: "mknod /dev/snd/controlC0 -c 116
        0" would create the first entry shown above.

        You could also probably use the old OSS driver too if they compiled it for the kernel,
        try: "modprobe audio.o" once you remove all the alsa stuff and see, but then you
        have to make sure you have /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer entries.

        If you still have troubles, I can plug my C-media device into a PC with debian and see
        what I have to do to get alsa to work and let you know.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 22 3:03 PM
          James, many thanks! Sound works.
          Just had to remove hotplug and install udev. Since I have started from
          a fresh Freelink and documented those few steps I can write it down in
          a Wiki article.