Re: [LinkStation_General] Lost networking

  • Chris Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 7, 2007
      use a freeware program called ext2fs...you can read and pull the files..but not write

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 8, 2007
        I would say that the more reliable ext3 driver seems to be ext2fsd,
        not ext2ifs, I cant speak for everyone, but only the former worked
        for me.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hall <chrish_40@...>
        wrote:

        > use a freeware program called ext2fs...you can read and pull the
        files..but not write

      • maestro85282
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
          The best suggestion I have for you since it's only 10 days old is to
          return it for a refund. My 400G HG station did the same
          thing...except it took Buffalo sooo long, about four months now of
          emails and every time a different person who seem to have no record or
          knowledge of my previous conversation with anyone there. So I finally
          now got an RMA but I am going to lose about 200G of confidential files
          and other such things that I would consider irreplaceable. Buffalo
          sent me the same email they sent you...basically, without knowing any
          better, they decided it must be the controller and suggested (after
          I'd asked for an RMA number several times) that I take it apart...even
          sent me a link to a how-to-do-it...and then added that it would void
          my warranty if anything was damaged in the process....so I basically
          didn't chance it....10 days old though with yours, you still likely
          have some kind of return or exchange options...about the data, I don't
          know much about linux but I was reading a bunch of stuff on Wikipedia
          about these LinkStations and people are turning them into little linux
          servers so Wiki might be a good place to start hunting for a way to
          get your files back...seemed like there's a pretty good sized
          underground for these good luck

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "R.E. Jordan"
          <rjordan@...> wrote:

          > I just received a new Linkstation Live (500GB) about 10 days ago.
          > After installing, with no issues, on to my home network (XP Pro on
          > both computers), everything was fine. So, I moved about 45gig of
          > files over to the Linkstation. On the second day, I noticed I could
          > not access administration to change the default password
          > of "password". Buffalo's support recommended resetting by pushing
          > the INIT button at the back. Bad mistake. That's when the network
          > access disappeared and I was no longer able to access the drive. I
          > worked on trouble shooting for two days, and then called Buffalo. An
          > hour later, they came to the conclusion that the firmware must have
          > been corrupted. We could not update the firmware, as we could not
          > access the drive...even when directly connected to the Linkstation
          > and using it's IP (which was pingable). They recommended removing
          > the internal Seagate drive, and slaving it on my computer...to
          > recover my data files....but with the caveat that "this would void
          > the warranty".
          >
          > After finding out what a few companies wanted for data recovery, I
          > decided to remove the drive myself. It was a simple removal with no
          > issues. However, the drive's evidently in a Linux format, and I
          > cannot access any files. Plus, I didn't have a SATA drive computer,
          > so I borrowed a USB to SATA connector from a friend. Still no luck.
          > The files were not "critical", but are several years worth of scanned
          > photos from overseas, along with lots of docs. I really didn't want
          > to lose them.
          >
          > Does anyone else have a suggestion? I'm not familar with Linux, and
          > don't know what to do to get the drive recognizable for recovery.
          >
          > Robert

        • Phil
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
            I dont know if this will help you but I had a disk problem with my linkstation. I found a computer student who knew a bit about linux and he was able to connect the hard disk to his linux computer and he managed to repair the problems.I lost some data but mostly it was intact. Buffalo are quite happy to replace the systems but you will lose your data. I would rather invalidate my warranty and maybe get my data back.
            Phil

            <rjordan@...> wrote:

            > I just received a new Linkstation Live (500GB) about 10 days ago.
            > After installing, with no issues, on to my home network (XP Pro on
            > both computers), everything was fine. So, I moved about 45gig of
            > files over to the Linkstation. On the second day, I noticed I could
            > not access administration to change the default password
            > of "password". Buffalo's support recommended resetting by pushing
            > the INIT button at the back. Bad mistake. That's when the network
            > access disappeared and I was no longer able to access the drive. I
            > worked on trouble shooting for two days, and then called Buffalo. An
            > hour later, they came to the conclusion that the firmware must have
            > been corrupted. We could not update the firmware, as we could not
            > access the drive...even when directly connected to the Linkstation
            > and using it's IP (which was pingable). They recommended removing
            > the internal Seagate drive, and slaving it on my computer...to
            > recover my data files....but with the caveat that "this would void
            > the warranty".
            >
            > After finding out what a few companies wanted for data recovery, I
            > decided to remove the drive myself. It was a simple removal with no
            > issues. However, the drive's evidently in a Linux format, and I
            > cannot access any files. Plus, I didn't have a SATA drive computer,
            > so I borrowed a USB to SATA connector from a friend. Still no luck.
            > The files were not "critical", but are several years worth of scanned
            > photos from overseas, along with lots of docs. I really didn't want
            > to lose them.
            >
            > Does anyone else have a suggestion? I'm not familar with Linux, and
            > don't know what to do to get the drive recognizable for recovery.
            >
            > Robert

          • Nick Kasoff
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 9, 2007
              This may be a little too obvious ... but if you can ping the device,
              then the firmware isn't shot and neither is the OS. First thing I'd
              try is, see if you can connect to it using an ftp client. If that
              doesn't work, try using acp_commander.jar to login to the box using
              telnet, and you may be able to initiate an ftp session from the linux
              machine. Instructions for telnetting to the box are here:

              http://www.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Custom_Partitions_on_the_LS_Pro

              You want the section on " How to enable telnet."

              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, Phil <wot2512@...> wrote:

> [...]

              > > > the internal Seagate drive, and slaving it on my computer...to
              > > > recover my data files....but with the caveat that "this would void
              > > > the warranty".
              > > >
              > > > After finding out what a few companies wanted for data recovery, I
              > > > decided to remove the drive myself. It was a simple removal with no
              > > > issues. However, the drive's evidently in a Linux format, and I
              > > > cannot access any files. Plus, I didn't have a SATA drive computer,
              > > > so I borrowed a USB to SATA connector from a friend. Still no luck.
              > > > The files were not "critical", but are several years worth of
              scanned
              > > > photos from overseas, along with lots of docs. I really didn't want
              > > > to lose them.
              > > >
              > > > Does anyone else have a suggestion? I'm not familar with Linux, and
              > > > don't know what to do to get the drive recognizable for recovery.

            • reece016
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 10, 2007
                It depends on where you got the Linkstation. They may notice the
                broken seal and not take it back. I would say to download a "live"
                linux such as 'ubuntu' (google it) and boot the desktop version on
                your pc and access the files and copy them over. If you have a lot of
                trouble with it and don't want to spend a small fortune for data
                recovery, send me an e-mail @ "reece016'at'gmail'dot'com" and I can
                try to recover it for you. If I fail I'll send the linkstation back to
                you and not charge you (minus shipping). If I succeed then if you
                don't want it any more I'll trade you for the broken linkstation.
                -Reece

                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "maestro85282"