Re: Where can I get Linkstations now? Does it have FTP server? Power consumption

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
      1) I found some here:
      http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&submitsearch=Search&satitle=linkstation&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=60130&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

      There are some second hand ones and some new ones.

      2) Yes, the FTP server that is built into the NAS has anonymous and
      registered user access. The top-level sharing folder can be set to
      read-only or writable.

      3) Never checked when I had this series of Linkstation. Cant comment
      on this question.

      -goat

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnbkim@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I need to find a low-power NAS to work as an ftp server for a science
      > project, and came across this group. I have some very basic questions:
      >
      > 1) Where can I get Linkstations now? Buffalo has newer Linkstation
      > models but they appear to be higher-power.
      >
      > 2) Does the Linkstation have a built-in FTP server?
      >
      > 3) The literature says its power consumption is 17 watts. What arethe
      > actual rates people observe?
      >
      > Thanks.

    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2007
        i checked the powerconsumption once and the Linkstation only (without
        usb-hdds) really only needed 14 watts.

        For the stock ftp-server proftpd is used.

        if you have some special needs regarding the proftpd-server then you
        can configure it from the commandline also.

        for easy usage i recommend OpenLink (regardless which one of the older
        boxes you might geht).

        the newer LS Pro/LS Live also uses proftpd...and it also works well.

        if anything is to limiting for you then you can install FreeLink which
        is a minimal debian...then you can install everything available for
        debian.

        -- mindbender
        www.linkstationwiki.net