Where can I get Linkstations now? Does it have FTP server? Power consumption?

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007

      I need to find a low-power NAS to work as an ftp server for a science
      project, and came across this group. I have some very basic questions:

      1) Where can I get Linkstations now? Buffalo has newer Linkstation
      models but they appear to be higher-power.

      2) Does the Linkstation have a built-in FTP server?

      3) The literature says its power consumption is 17 watts. What arethe
      actual rates people observe?

      Thanks.
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 27, 2007
        1) I found some here:
        http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&catref=C6&from=R10&submitsearch=Search&satitle=linkstation&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=60130&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

        There are some second hand ones and some new ones.

        2) Yes, the FTP server that is built into the NAS has anonymous and
        registered user access. The top-level sharing folder can be set to
        read-only or writable.

        3) Never checked when I had this series of Linkstation. Cant comment
        on this question.

        -goat

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "John" <johnbkim@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I need to find a low-power NAS to work as an ftp server for a science
        > project, and came across this group. I have some very basic questions:
        >
        > 1) Where can I get Linkstations now? Buffalo has newer Linkstation
        > models but they appear to be higher-power.
        >
        > 2) Does the Linkstation have a built-in FTP server?
        >
        > 3) The literature says its power consumption is 17 watts. What arethe
        > actual rates people observe?
        >
        > Thanks.

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 29, 2007
          i checked the powerconsumption once and the Linkstation only (without
          usb-hdds) really only needed 14 watts.

          For the stock ftp-server proftpd is used.

          if you have some special needs regarding the proftpd-server then you
          can configure it from the commandline also.

          for easy usage i recommend OpenLink (regardless which one of the older
          boxes you might geht).

          the newer LS Pro/LS Live also uses proftpd...and it also works well.

          if anything is to limiting for you then you can install FreeLink which
          is a minimal debian...then you can install everything available for
          debian.

          -- mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net