where to start?

  • Mike Mittelman
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 12, 2007
      I am a total noob to hacking my linkstation. I mostly just hate the
      fact that I can't set a home directory in the ftp server, but don't
      need to do much else. Can someone point me in the direction of a step
      by step for my LSPro 320?

      Thanks.

      - Mike

      On another note. Anyone have problems with out of the box FTP
      stalling out on users?
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 14, 2007
        Since the LS-Pro is once again a completely different animal from
        other previous LS'es, this one being based on an ARM processor, None
        of the easy-do-install solutions like Openlink and Freelink will
        work for it yet.

        So you have to follow much the same courses that we all took in the
        early days of hacking our older boxes years ago.

        There are two ways to go, one is to simply modify and add features
        to the original OS, which is what eventually gave us Openlink, or
        the second direction is to abandon the original OS that is hard to
        customize, and install a full featured Linux OS like Debian or
        Gentoo.

        From the Linkstation Wiki:

        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/LSPROOverview

        I see that our Japanese friend has once again given us a
        Debian-Linux for the LS-Pro, Gentoo-Linux is here too. It also
        looks like there have been some password hacking going on with the
        original OS as well. In my opinion, the LS should NOT be your first
        exposure to the inner workings of Linux however.

        To just change the root of the FTP server, it seems to me that you
        could pull the drive out of the LS and install it such that you can
        access it from a Linux workstation, find the configuration file for
        the FTP server (or probably the template of the one the web
        interface will attempt to write over it with) and make the change
        there. This is likely to be harder than it sounds however.
        Previous hacking of LS'es resulted in doing things like fixing
        the "Magic Number" on the file system, and breaking some of the
        built in security measures on the Web interface.

        Anyway, I would try to join in on the hacking attempts going on at
        the LinkStation Wiki, which is the best forum for the Linkstation
        these days.

        Lots of Luck

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mittelman"
        <mmittelman@...> wrote:

        > I am a total noob to hacking my linkstation. I mostly just hate
        the
        > fact that I can't set a home directory in the ftp server, but
        don't
        > need to do much else. Can someone point me in the direction of a
        step
        > by step for my LSPro 320?
        >

        > Thanks.
        >
        > - Mike
        >
        > On another note. Anyone have problems with out of the box FTP
        > stalling out on users?

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
          i recommend to install jtymods firmware. it is pre-openlink. and we
          have a 95 % working native toolchain.

          -- mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net

          <wartstew@...> wrote:

          > Since the LS-Pro is once again a completely different animal from
          > other previous LS'es, this one being based on an ARM processor, None
          > of the easy-do-install solutions like Openlink and Freelink will
          > work for it yet.
          >
          > So you have to follow much the same courses that we all took in the
          > early days of hacking our older boxes years ago.
          >
          > There are two ways to go, one is to simply modify and add features
          > to the original OS, which is what eventually gave us Openlink, or
          > the second direction is to abandon the original OS that is hard to
          > customize, and install a full featured Linux OS like Debian or
          > Gentoo.
          >
          > From the Linkstation Wiki:
          >
          > http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Information/LSPROOverview
          >
          > I see that our Japanese friend has once again given us a
          > Debian-Linux for the LS-Pro, Gentoo-Linux is here too. It also
          > looks like there have been some password hacking going on with the
          > original OS as well. In my opinion, the LS should NOT be your first
          > exposure to the inner workings of Linux however.
          >
          > To just change the root of the FTP server, it seems to me that you
          > could pull the drive out of the LS and install it such that you can
          > access it from a Linux workstation, find the configuration file for
          > the FTP server (or probably the template of the one the web
          > interface will attempt to write over it with) and make the change
          > there. This is likely to be harder than it sounds however.
          > Previous hacking of LS'es resulted in doing things like fixing
          > the "Magic Number" on the file system, and breaking some of the
          > built in security measures on the Web interface.
          >
          > Anyway, I would try to join in on the hacking attempts going on at
          > the LinkStation Wiki, which is the best forum for the Linkstation
          > these days.
          >
          > Lots of Luck
          >
          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Mittelman"
          > <mmittelman@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I am a total noob to hacking my linkstation. I mostly just hate
          > the
          > > fact that I can't set a home directory in the ftp server, but
          > don't
          > > need to do much else. Can someone point me in the direction of a
          > step
          > > by step for my LSPro 320?
          > >

          > > Thanks.
          > >
          > > - Mike
          > >
          > > On another note. Anyone have problems with out of the box FTP
          > > stalling out on users?

        • Nick Kasoff
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2007
            I'm a LinkStation newbie, but with some decent Linux experience. A few relevant observations:

            1. Getting telnet & root access to this device is very easy - just follow these instructions from the LinkStation Wiki (it's the first section, "How to enable telnet in EM Mode." If you can't do it in less than sixty seconds, you aren't trying hard enough. Much easier than pulling the drive and putting it in another Linux box, though that should work too.

            2. Once you do (1), there are many things you can easily do. I've got remote sites doing an automated backup to one of these. After they're done, I have cron jobs running to automatically rename the files, and will soon be running a cron job to transfer today's backups to another LinkStation at a different location. Yes, my client is paranoid.

            3. There are other things which would work on your Redhat box, which will be difficult or impossible on the LS Pro. For example, my original intention was to have the LS handle updates to the dynamic dns provider. There are perl scripts provided which do this, and I easily used one on my Redhat box. Unfortunately, the perl configuration on the LS doesn't contain all the common modules, and the updating got to be more complicated than I wanted to deal with, so I have his router  handling dyndns instead. Also, the web server doesn't have php loaded.

            If it were my own box, I'd probably install another hard drive in it, and try a different version of Linux. Since it belongs to a client, I didn't want to spend the bucks on another hard drive, and I didn't want to risk bricking it, so I just stuck with minor mods to the original OS. All things considered, though, this device is very easy to work with if you're comfortable with the Linux command line. It doesn't seem to be powerful enough to be used as a web server unless you have very low traffic. But still, very cool.