Re: Dyndns client for LS pro

  • lucian_muresan
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
      <musikgoat@...> wrote:
      [...]
      > As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.

      For the LSpro,there is also GenLink available now (being Gentoo it's
      virtually unlimited extensible, so it's also a matter of taste, or
      distribution one is used to), and ddclient has been proven to work
      with DynDNS using the web page IP querying method, and adding ssl=true
      (or similar, I found this info on the DynDNS page when helping a
      Genlink user troubleshoot ddclient).
      Lucian
    • lucian_muresan
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
        <musikgoat@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.
        For the LSpro,there is also GenLink available now (being Gentoo it's
        virtually unlimited extensible, so it's also a matter of taste, or
        distribution one is used to), and ddclient has been proven to work
        with DynDNS using the web page IP querying method, and adding ssl=true
        (or similar, I found this info on the DynDNS page when helping a
        Genlink user troubleshoot ddclient).

        Lucian
      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
          http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/

          this dyndns-client is written in perl...and perl is even on the stock
          system.

          you need to enable telnet of your LS Pro with acp_commander, connect
          via telnet, follow the installation here:
          http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/#install

          that should be all to get it working.

          -- mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net

          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kasoff"
          <nicholas@...> wrote:

          > I was told that the LinkStation Pro has a DynDns client. But I sure
          > don't see it in the menu. Am I going to have to freelink to accomplish
          > this, or is there some way within the existing OS? I've got plenty of
          > Linux experience, but this is my first LinkStation. Help!

        • Nick Kasoff
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
            Ok ... I enabled Telnet with acp_commander, installed ddclient, and
            create the config file. Now I'm getting this when I run it:

            root@LS-GLFA5:/usr/sbin# ./ddclient
            Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
            /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/a
            rmv5tejl-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8
            /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/a
            rmv5tejl-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
            /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_pe
            rl .) at ./ddclient line 13.
            BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./ddclient line 13.

            Am I doing something wrong, or does the LS Pro have crippled PERL?

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
              I sort of answered my own question here ... in comparing
              /usr/local/lib/perl5 on the Linkstation to the corresponding folder on
              my Fedora server, it is just a very small subset of Perl. And, through
              experimenting, I've also determined that I can't just copy the Perl
              folder from my Linux box, because there are some portions that are
              CPU-specific. So ... I'm still not there.

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                you should be able to install the missing modules via CPAN

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                  Forgive my ignorance ... but which distro do I need to use?

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                    i suppose you can even use the stock firmware.

                    http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html

                    question is if you really need some other perl modules...

                    if ddclient needs some specific modules then it should be inside the
                    ddclient docs.

                    -- mindbender