Re: Dyndns client for LS pro

  • musikgoat
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2007
      I think you heard wrong, the Pro model has no such functionality.

      usually NAS'es do not due to the fact that its most easily
      accomplished in a router.

      I believe the the new Linkstation Live will have a sort of dyndns
      functionality, probably built on uPnP, allowing access to the device
      from www.buffalonas.com, but I talked to one person who says that
      there is no such functionality <i>yet</i>
      cue the suspenseful music.

      As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.

      -goat

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kasoff"
      <nicholas@...> wrote:

      > I was told that the LinkStation Pro has a DynDns client. But I sure
      > don't see it in the menu. Am I going to have to freelink to accomplish
      > this, or is there some way within the existing OS? I've got plenty of
      > Linux experience, but this is my first LinkStation. Help!

    • lucian_muresan
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
        <musikgoat@...> wrote:
        [...]
        > As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.

        For the LSpro,there is also GenLink available now (being Gentoo it's
        virtually unlimited extensible, so it's also a matter of taste, or
        distribution one is used to), and ddclient has been proven to work
        with DynDNS using the web page IP querying method, and adding ssl=true
        (or similar, I found this info on the DynDNS page when helping a
        Genlink user troubleshoot ddclient).
        Lucian
      • lucian_muresan
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
          <musikgoat@...> wrote:
          [...]
          > As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.
          For the LSpro,there is also GenLink available now (being Gentoo it's
          virtually unlimited extensible, so it's also a matter of taste, or
          distribution one is used to), and ddclient has been proven to work
          with DynDNS using the web page IP querying method, and adding ssl=true
          (or similar, I found this info on the DynDNS page when helping a
          Genlink user troubleshoot ddclient).

          Lucian
        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
            http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/

            this dyndns-client is written in perl...and perl is even on the stock
            system.

            you need to enable telnet of your LS Pro with acp_commander, connect
            via telnet, follow the installation here:
            http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/#install

            that should be all to get it working.

            -- mindbender
            www.linkstationwiki.net

            <nicholas@...> wrote:

            > I was told that the LinkStation Pro has a DynDns client. But I sure
            > don't see it in the menu. Am I going to have to freelink to accomplish
            > this, or is there some way within the existing OS? I've got plenty of
            > Linux experience, but this is my first LinkStation. Help!

          • Nick Kasoff
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
              Ok ... I enabled Telnet with acp_commander, installed ddclient, and
              create the config file. Now I'm getting this when I run it:

              root@LS-GLFA5:/usr/sbin# ./ddclient
              Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
              /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/a
              rmv5tejl-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8
              /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/a
              rmv5tejl-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
              /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_pe
              rl .) at ./ddclient line 13.
              BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./ddclient line 13.

              Am I doing something wrong, or does the LS Pro have crippled PERL?

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
                I sort of answered my own question here ... in comparing
                /usr/local/lib/perl5 on the Linkstation to the corresponding folder on
                my Fedora server, it is just a very small subset of Perl. And, through
                experimenting, I've also determined that I can't just copy the Perl
                folder from my Linux box, because there are some portions that are
                CPU-specific. So ... I'm still not there.

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                  you should be able to install the missing modules via CPAN

                  -- mindbender
                  www.linkstationwiki.net

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                    Forgive my ignorance ... but which distro do I need to use?

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                      i suppose you can even use the stock firmware.

                      http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html

                      question is if you really need some other perl modules...

                      if ddclient needs some specific modules then it should be inside the
                      ddclient docs.

                      -- mindbender