Dyndns client for LS pro

  • Nick Kasoff
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2007
      I was told that the LinkStation Pro has a DynDns client. But I sure
      don't see it in the menu. Am I going to have to freelink to accomplish
      this, or is there some way within the existing OS? I've got plenty of
      Linux experience, but this is my first LinkStation. Help!
    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2007
        I think you heard wrong, the Pro model has no such functionality.

        usually NAS'es do not due to the fact that its most easily
        accomplished in a router.

        I believe the the new Linkstation Live will have a sort of dyndns
        functionality, probably built on uPnP, allowing access to the device
        from www.buffalonas.com, but I talked to one person who says that
        there is no such functionality <i>yet</i>
        cue the suspenseful music.

        As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.

        -goat

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Kasoff"
        <nicholas@...> wrote:

        > I was told that the LinkStation Pro has a DynDns client. But I sure
        > don't see it in the menu. Am I going to have to freelink to accomplish
        > this, or is there some way within the existing OS? I've got plenty of
        > Linux experience, but this is my first LinkStation. Help!

      • lucian_muresan
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
          <musikgoat@...> wrote:
          [...]
          > As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.

          For the LSpro,there is also GenLink available now (being Gentoo it's
          virtually unlimited extensible, so it's also a matter of taste, or
          distribution one is used to), and ddclient has been proven to work
          with DynDNS using the web page IP querying method, and adding ssl=true
          (or similar, I found this info on the DynDNS page when helping a
          Genlink user troubleshoot ddclient).
          Lucian
        • lucian_muresan
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 2, 2007
            <musikgoat@...> wrote:
            [...]
            > As for getting it on the LSpro, Freelink would be your best bet.
            For the LSpro,there is also GenLink available now (being Gentoo it's
            virtually unlimited extensible, so it's also a matter of taste, or
            distribution one is used to), and ddclient has been proven to work
            with DynDNS using the web page IP querying method, and adding ssl=true
            (or similar, I found this info on the DynDNS page when helping a
            Genlink user troubleshoot ddclient).

            Lucian
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 4, 2007
              http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/

              this dyndns-client is written in perl...and perl is even on the stock
              system.

              you need to enable telnet of your LS Pro with acp_commander, connect
              via telnet, follow the installation here:
              http://ddclient.sourceforge.net/#install

              that should be all to get it working.

              -- mindbender
              www.linkstationwiki.net

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
                Ok ... I enabled Telnet with acp_commander, installed ddclient, and
                create the config file. Now I'm getting this when I run it:

                root@LS-GLFA5:/usr/sbin# ./ddclient
                Can't locate Getopt/Long.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
                /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/a
                rmv5tejl-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8
                /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/a
                rmv5tejl-linux /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8
                /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_pe
                rl .) at ./ddclient line 13.
                BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at ./ddclient line 13.

                Am I doing something wrong, or does the LS Pro have crippled PERL?

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2007
                  I sort of answered my own question here ... in comparing
                  /usr/local/lib/perl5 on the Linkstation to the corresponding folder on
                  my Fedora server, it is just a very small subset of Perl. And, through
                  experimenting, I've also determined that I can't just copy the Perl
                  folder from my Linux box, because there are some portions that are
                  CPU-specific. So ... I'm still not there.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                    you should be able to install the missing modules via CPAN

                    -- mindbender
                    www.linkstationwiki.net

                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                      Forgive my ignorance ... but which distro do I need to use?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 6, 2007
                        i suppose you can even use the stock firmware.

                        http://www.cpan.org/misc/cpan-faq.html

                        question is if you really need some other perl modules...

                        if ddclient needs some specific modules then it should be inside the
                        ddclient docs.

                        -- mindbender