Re: Whos installs openlink or freelink in their linkstation pro ?

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12 8:52 PM
      Welcome to Dependency Hell!

      I tried to post this to the tread on the wiki but it looks like I
      got locked out of the my account there again. Maybe I forgot an
      obscure password or something. Anyway here is some specifics of
      what might help you. I'll follow it with some more general
      background information to help you understand what is going on if
      needed.

      There is a command called "ldd" (example: ldd /usr/bin/rtorrent)
      which will list out all the required shared libraries (and versions)
      that are required to make this program run. Hopefully the list
      won't be too long, because then you will need to verify that you
      have all these, and of acceptable versions on your system. As in
      the case with your "ld.linux.so" library, sometimes you just need to
      symlink the specific version you have to its more generic name.
      This normally needs to be done with all shared libraries on your
      system and usually a Linux with decent package management will do
      this for you. Openlink unfortunately does not have this luxury so
      you have do thisyourself, probably on an as-need basis. If you don't
      have the libraries at all, you'll have to find them somewhere. I
      used to grab stuff from Debian-Woody which tended to work with the
      LS-1 original OS (and therefore Openlink for it), but other older
      linux distributions will have these too as long as they support your
      architecture's processor.

      This is all a real pain, and reason I use Freelink (actually its
      predecessor) instead. Then I get to use Debians package management
      system to deal with all these problems automatically.

      Now for background information:

      For a program to run on Linux, several "dependencies" must be met.
      Not only does the program have to be compiled for the architecture
      that your linux system runs on (ie PPC, MIPS, or what ever) but it
      has to be compiled "against" a set of libraries that are compatible
      with what is being used on the host OS. This can really become a
      tangled web. The situation is similar, but worse to the problems
      that used to exist with old Windows 3.x and all those
      conflicting .dll versions (remember those horrible days?)

      This is why most Linux based OS's are distributed in what is known
      as "distributions", or with a set of programs that are all compiled
      together to be compatible. When you just grab a "binary" program
      from somewhere else, it is a real hit-n-miss proposition as to
      wheather it will work or not.

      I think what is going on in your case is that the rtorrent program
      was probably compiled to run on Openlink or Freelink (but not both)
      and you have the opposite of what it was compiled for. These days,
      Openlink tends use a much older set of these sets of shared
      libraries than Freelink, so programs compiled for one will probably
      not run on the other. Another possibility is that was compiled for a
      different version of Openlink, or perhaps even for the wrong
      hardware. If you can E-mail the person that put that binary on the
      wiki, maybe you can compare what he/she has to what you have if
      you'd like to know why it doesn't work.

      If you are running Openlink, The brute force way to fix this problem
      is to compile the program yourself starting with getting or creating
      a "tool chain" for it. This tends to be a lot of work IMHO, which
      is why I was an early advocate of what eventually became "Freelink".

      With Freelink, all you have to do is enter the command: "apt-get
      install rtorrent" would download, install, and preconfigure
      rtorrent. (yes Debian has rtorrent, and about 20,000 other
      precompiled program packages!).

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter224722"

      http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2349

      > I`m a Linux newbie who as slowly getting to know Linux, but after
      been
      > on Microsoft products since Dos takes time.
      >
      > Learning bash and general Linux commands, But don`t know how to do
      the
      > more complex stuff.
      >
      > Thanks again Peter

    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12 9:14 PM
        If you do decide to go with freelink, it seems that others have had
        good results with rtorrent, and some other torrent utils

        http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2336

        here's the article showing how to install it.

        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FreeLink_for_the_Linkstation_Pro

        keep in mind that this is the first release, and it seems that its in
        active development.
      • peter224722
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 13 5:05 AM

          Hi James, thank you for your informative reply.
          Didn't know or use the Idd command, But this is the output generated :-

          sr/lib/libtorrent.so.10)
          libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40020000)
          libtorrent.so.10 => /usr/lib/libtorrent.so.10 (0x40067000)
          libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
          libcurl.so.3 => not found
          libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2
          (0x40131000)
          libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libkrb5.so.3 (0x4014f000)
          libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x401bc000)
          libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libkrb5support.so.0
          (0x401e7000)
          libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0x401f2000)
          libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x401fc000)
          libidn.so.11 => not found
          libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40217000)
          libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
          libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
          libz.so.1 => not found
          libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x40222000)
          libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x402e8000)
          libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40399000)
          libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x403aa000)
          libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
          libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
          libcom_err.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libcom_err.so.3 (0x404c0000)

          Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it was compiled for freelink and not openlink, so
          it time to give up on running rtorrent on openlink. ( no real biggie )
          I guess at some time I will have to install Freelink instead, but I
          want to know how to dig myself out of the hole before I start digging
          the hole.

          Thanks again Peter
        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 13 7:01 AM
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter224722" <peter224722@...> wrote:
            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
            > libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
            > libcurl.so.3 => not found
            > libidn.so.11 => not found
            > libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
            > libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
            > libz.so.1 => not found
            > libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
            > libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found

            Quite a few dependies.

            > Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it was compiled for freelink and not openlink, so
            > it time to give up on running rtorrent on openlink. ( no real biggie )

            Either that, or compile your own rtorrent.

            > I guess at some time I will have to install Freelink instead, but I
            > want to know how to dig myself out of the hole before I start digging
            > the hole.

            "Compiled for FreeLink" may not be what you think though. You'll get a basic Debian
            system and identify and install such extras manually.

            -Andre
          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13 9:36 AM
              <wartstew@...> wrote:

              > Welcome to Dependency Hell!
              >
              > I tried to post this to the tread on the wiki but it looks like I
              > got locked out of the my account there again. Maybe I forgot an
              > obscure password or something. Anyway here is some specifics of
              > what might help you. I'll follow it with some more general
              > background information to help you understand what is going on if
              > needed.

              tell me which user you have and i will reset your password.

              -- mindbender
              www.linkstationwiki.net