Re: Whos installs openlink or freelink in their linkstation pro ?

  • haberschnasel
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter224722"
      <peter224722@...> wrote:
      > Looking for some answers on openlink and freelink, But found that
      > posting on the http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/ forum is like hitting
      > your head against a brick wall .

      I found it always very helpful to post there. Maybe you link here to
      your posts there and then you will get the answers you need?
    • peter224722
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
        <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

        > I found it always very helpful to post there. Maybe you link here to
        > your posts there and then you will get the answers you need?

        Thank you for you help , This is my problem :-

        http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2349

        I`m a Linux newbie who as slowly getting to know Linux, but after been
        on Microsoft products since Dos takes time.

        Learning bash and general Linux commands, But don`t know how to do the
        more complex stuff.

        Thanks again Peter
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
          Welcome to Dependency Hell!

          I tried to post this to the tread on the wiki but it looks like I
          got locked out of the my account there again. Maybe I forgot an
          obscure password or something. Anyway here is some specifics of
          what might help you. I'll follow it with some more general
          background information to help you understand what is going on if
          needed.

          There is a command called "ldd" (example: ldd /usr/bin/rtorrent)
          which will list out all the required shared libraries (and versions)
          that are required to make this program run. Hopefully the list
          won't be too long, because then you will need to verify that you
          have all these, and of acceptable versions on your system. As in
          the case with your "ld.linux.so" library, sometimes you just need to
          symlink the specific version you have to its more generic name.
          This normally needs to be done with all shared libraries on your
          system and usually a Linux with decent package management will do
          this for you. Openlink unfortunately does not have this luxury so
          you have do thisyourself, probably on an as-need basis. If you don't
          have the libraries at all, you'll have to find them somewhere. I
          used to grab stuff from Debian-Woody which tended to work with the
          LS-1 original OS (and therefore Openlink for it), but other older
          linux distributions will have these too as long as they support your
          architecture's processor.

          This is all a real pain, and reason I use Freelink (actually its
          predecessor) instead. Then I get to use Debians package management
          system to deal with all these problems automatically.

          Now for background information:

          For a program to run on Linux, several "dependencies" must be met.
          Not only does the program have to be compiled for the architecture
          that your linux system runs on (ie PPC, MIPS, or what ever) but it
          has to be compiled "against" a set of libraries that are compatible
          with what is being used on the host OS. This can really become a
          tangled web. The situation is similar, but worse to the problems
          that used to exist with old Windows 3.x and all those
          conflicting .dll versions (remember those horrible days?)

          This is why most Linux based OS's are distributed in what is known
          as "distributions", or with a set of programs that are all compiled
          together to be compatible. When you just grab a "binary" program
          from somewhere else, it is a real hit-n-miss proposition as to
          wheather it will work or not.

          I think what is going on in your case is that the rtorrent program
          was probably compiled to run on Openlink or Freelink (but not both)
          and you have the opposite of what it was compiled for. These days,
          Openlink tends use a much older set of these sets of shared
          libraries than Freelink, so programs compiled for one will probably
          not run on the other. Another possibility is that was compiled for a
          different version of Openlink, or perhaps even for the wrong
          hardware. If you can E-mail the person that put that binary on the
          wiki, maybe you can compare what he/she has to what you have if
          you'd like to know why it doesn't work.

          If you are running Openlink, The brute force way to fix this problem
          is to compile the program yourself starting with getting or creating
          a "tool chain" for it. This tends to be a lot of work IMHO, which
          is why I was an early advocate of what eventually became "Freelink".

          With Freelink, all you have to do is enter the command: "apt-get
          install rtorrent" would download, install, and preconfigure
          rtorrent. (yes Debian has rtorrent, and about 20,000 other
          precompiled program packages!).

          <peter224722@...> wrote:

          > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
          > <haberschnasel@> wrote:
          >

          > > I found it always very helpful to post there. Maybe you link
          here to
          > > your posts there and then you will get the answers you need?
          > >

          > Thank you for you help , This is my problem :-

          http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2349

          > I`m a Linux newbie who as slowly getting to know Linux, but after
          been
          > on Microsoft products since Dos takes time.
          >
          > Learning bash and general Linux commands, But don`t know how to do
          the
          > more complex stuff.
          >
          > Thanks again Peter

        • musikgoat
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2007
            If you do decide to go with freelink, it seems that others have had
            good results with rtorrent, and some other torrent utils

            http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2336

            here's the article showing how to install it.

            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FreeLink_for_the_Linkstation_Pro

            keep in mind that this is the first release, and it seems that its in
            active development.
          • peter224722
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007

              Hi James, thank you for your informative reply.
              Didn't know or use the Idd command, But this is the output generated :-

              sr/lib/libtorrent.so.10)
              libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40020000)
              libtorrent.so.10 => /usr/lib/libtorrent.so.10 (0x40067000)
              libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
              libcurl.so.3 => not found
              libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2
              (0x40131000)
              libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libkrb5.so.3 (0x4014f000)
              libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x401bc000)
              libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libkrb5support.so.0
              (0x401e7000)
              libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0x401f2000)
              libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x401fc000)
              libidn.so.11 => not found
              libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40217000)
              libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
              libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
              libz.so.1 => not found
              libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x40222000)
              libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x402e8000)
              libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40399000)
              libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x403aa000)
              libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
              libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
              libcom_err.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libcom_err.so.3 (0x404c0000)

              Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it was compiled for freelink and not openlink, so
              it time to give up on running rtorrent on openlink. ( no real biggie )
              I guess at some time I will have to install Freelink instead, but I
              want to know how to dig myself out of the hole before I start digging
              the hole.

              Thanks again Peter
            • lalunas10
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter224722" <peter224722@...> wrote:
                > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                > libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
                > libcurl.so.3 => not found
                > libidn.so.11 => not found
                > libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
                > libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
                > libz.so.1 => not found
                > libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
                > libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found

                Quite a few dependies.

                > Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it was compiled for freelink and not openlink, so
                > it time to give up on running rtorrent on openlink. ( no real biggie )

                Either that, or compile your own rtorrent.

                > I guess at some time I will have to install Freelink instead, but I
                > want to know how to dig myself out of the hole before I start digging
                > the hole.

                "Compiled for FreeLink" may not be what you think though. You'll get a basic Debian
                system and identify and install such extras manually.

                -Andre
              • cherrytreeproduction
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 13, 2007
                  <wartstew@...> wrote:

                  > Welcome to Dependency Hell!
                  >
                  > I tried to post this to the tread on the wiki but it looks like I
                  > got locked out of the my account there again. Maybe I forgot an
                  > obscure password or something. Anyway here is some specifics of
                  > what might help you. I'll follow it with some more general
                  > background information to help you understand what is going on if
                  > needed.

                  tell me which user you have and i will reset your password.

                  -- mindbender
                  www.linkstationwiki.net