Whos installs openlink or freelink in their linkstation pro ?

  • peter224722
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 11 5:33 PM
      Whos installs openlink or freelink in their linkstation pro ?

      Looking for some answers on openlink and freelink, But found that
      posting on the http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/ forum is like hitting
      your head against a brick wall .

      Found that the Linkstation pro may have the best hardware, but the
      NSLU2 has the support.
    • haberschnasel
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12 1:52 AM
        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter224722"
        <peter224722@...> wrote:
        > Looking for some answers on openlink and freelink, But found that
        > posting on the http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/ forum is like hitting
        > your head against a brick wall .

        I found it always very helpful to post there. Maybe you link here to
        your posts there and then you will get the answers you need?
      • peter224722
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12 5:49 AM
          --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
          <haberschnasel@...> wrote:

          > I found it always very helpful to post there. Maybe you link here to
          > your posts there and then you will get the answers you need?

          Thank you for you help , This is my problem :-

          http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2349

          I`m a Linux newbie who as slowly getting to know Linux, but after been
          on Microsoft products since Dos takes time.

          Learning bash and general Linux commands, But don`t know how to do the
          more complex stuff.

          Thanks again Peter
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12 8:52 PM
            Welcome to Dependency Hell!

            I tried to post this to the tread on the wiki but it looks like I
            got locked out of the my account there again. Maybe I forgot an
            obscure password or something. Anyway here is some specifics of
            what might help you. I'll follow it with some more general
            background information to help you understand what is going on if
            needed.

            There is a command called "ldd" (example: ldd /usr/bin/rtorrent)
            which will list out all the required shared libraries (and versions)
            that are required to make this program run. Hopefully the list
            won't be too long, because then you will need to verify that you
            have all these, and of acceptable versions on your system. As in
            the case with your "ld.linux.so" library, sometimes you just need to
            symlink the specific version you have to its more generic name.
            This normally needs to be done with all shared libraries on your
            system and usually a Linux with decent package management will do
            this for you. Openlink unfortunately does not have this luxury so
            you have do thisyourself, probably on an as-need basis. If you don't
            have the libraries at all, you'll have to find them somewhere. I
            used to grab stuff from Debian-Woody which tended to work with the
            LS-1 original OS (and therefore Openlink for it), but other older
            linux distributions will have these too as long as they support your
            architecture's processor.

            This is all a real pain, and reason I use Freelink (actually its
            predecessor) instead. Then I get to use Debians package management
            system to deal with all these problems automatically.

            Now for background information:

            For a program to run on Linux, several "dependencies" must be met.
            Not only does the program have to be compiled for the architecture
            that your linux system runs on (ie PPC, MIPS, or what ever) but it
            has to be compiled "against" a set of libraries that are compatible
            with what is being used on the host OS. This can really become a
            tangled web. The situation is similar, but worse to the problems
            that used to exist with old Windows 3.x and all those
            conflicting .dll versions (remember those horrible days?)

            This is why most Linux based OS's are distributed in what is known
            as "distributions", or with a set of programs that are all compiled
            together to be compatible. When you just grab a "binary" program
            from somewhere else, it is a real hit-n-miss proposition as to
            wheather it will work or not.

            I think what is going on in your case is that the rtorrent program
            was probably compiled to run on Openlink or Freelink (but not both)
            and you have the opposite of what it was compiled for. These days,
            Openlink tends use a much older set of these sets of shared
            libraries than Freelink, so programs compiled for one will probably
            not run on the other. Another possibility is that was compiled for a
            different version of Openlink, or perhaps even for the wrong
            hardware. If you can E-mail the person that put that binary on the
            wiki, maybe you can compare what he/she has to what you have if
            you'd like to know why it doesn't work.

            If you are running Openlink, The brute force way to fix this problem
            is to compile the program yourself starting with getting or creating
            a "tool chain" for it. This tends to be a lot of work IMHO, which
            is why I was an early advocate of what eventually became "Freelink".

            With Freelink, all you have to do is enter the command: "apt-get
            install rtorrent" would download, install, and preconfigure
            rtorrent. (yes Debian has rtorrent, and about 20,000 other
            precompiled program packages!).

            <peter224722@...> wrote:

            > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "haberschnasel"
            > <haberschnasel@> wrote:
            >

            > > I found it always very helpful to post there. Maybe you link
            here to
            > > your posts there and then you will get the answers you need?
            > >

            > Thank you for you help , This is my problem :-

            http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2349

            > I`m a Linux newbie who as slowly getting to know Linux, but after
            been
            > on Microsoft products since Dos takes time.
            >
            > Learning bash and general Linux commands, But don`t know how to do
            the
            > more complex stuff.
            >
            > Thanks again Peter

          • musikgoat
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 12 9:14 PM
              If you do decide to go with freelink, it seems that others have had
              good results with rtorrent, and some other torrent utils

              http://forum.linkstationwiki.net/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2336

              here's the article showing how to install it.

              http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=FreeLink_for_the_Linkstation_Pro

              keep in mind that this is the first release, and it seems that its in
              active development.
            • peter224722
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 13 5:05 AM

                Hi James, thank you for your informative reply.
                Didn't know or use the Idd command, But this is the output generated :-

                sr/lib/libtorrent.so.10)
                libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x40020000)
                libtorrent.so.10 => /usr/lib/libtorrent.so.10 (0x40067000)
                libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
                libcurl.so.3 => not found
                libgssapi_krb5.so.2 => /usr/local/lib/libgssapi_krb5.so.2
                (0x40131000)
                libkrb5.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libkrb5.so.3 (0x4014f000)
                libk5crypto.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libk5crypto.so.3 (0x401bc000)
                libkrb5support.so.0 => /usr/local/lib/libkrb5support.so.0
                (0x401e7000)
                libcom_err.so.2 => /lib/libcom_err.so.2 (0x401f2000)
                libresolv.so.2 => /lib/libresolv.so.2 (0x401fc000)
                libidn.so.11 => not found
                libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0x40217000)
                libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
                libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
                libz.so.1 => not found
                libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/local/lib/libstdc++.so.6 (0x40222000)
                libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0x402e8000)
                libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x40399000)
                libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x403aa000)
                libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
                libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
                libcom_err.so.3 => /usr/local/lib/libcom_err.so.3 (0x404c0000)

                Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it was compiled for freelink and not openlink, so
                it time to give up on running rtorrent on openlink. ( no real biggie )
                I guess at some time I will have to install Freelink instead, but I
                want to know how to dig myself out of the hole before I start digging
                the hole.

                Thanks again Peter
              • lalunas10
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 13 7:01 AM
                  --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "peter224722" <peter224722@...> wrote:
                  > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "James Stewart"
                  > libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found
                  > libcurl.so.3 => not found
                  > libidn.so.11 => not found
                  > libssl.so.0.9.8 => not found
                  > libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
                  > libz.so.1 => not found
                  > libcrypto.so.0.9.8 => not found
                  > libsigc-2.0.so.0 => not found

                  Quite a few dependies.

                  > Yes, I'm 99.9% sure it was compiled for freelink and not openlink, so
                  > it time to give up on running rtorrent on openlink. ( no real biggie )

                  Either that, or compile your own rtorrent.

                  > I guess at some time I will have to install Freelink instead, but I
                  > want to know how to dig myself out of the hole before I start digging
                  > the hole.

                  "Compiled for FreeLink" may not be what you think though. You'll get a basic Debian
                  system and identify and install such extras manually.

                  -Andre
                • cherrytreeproduction
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 13 9:36 AM
                    <wartstew@...> wrote:

                    > Welcome to Dependency Hell!
                    >
                    > I tried to post this to the tread on the wiki but it looks like I
                    > got locked out of the my account there again. Maybe I forgot an
                    > obscure password or something. Anyway here is some specifics of
                    > what might help you. I'll follow it with some more general
                    > background information to help you understand what is going on if
                    > needed.

                    tell me which user you have and i will reset your password.

                    -- mindbender
                    www.linkstationwiki.net