LS-250GL Internet/FTP Server Help

  • Steve Pulfrey
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      I have an LS-250GL and I am trying to set up access to it from the outside
      world via the internet. I dont mind whether it's ftp access or any other
      type of access, as long as I can read/write to it.

      My broadband has a dynamic IP address, but I have set up an account with
      dyndns so that's not a problem.

      I have tried two Virtual Server setups in my router, one using port 80 and
      the other, port 21. With the port 80 setup, when I go to my dyndns address
      in Internet Explorer, I get to the admin system of the Linkstation where it
      askes me to log in with my admin password. This proves that I can reach the
      Linkstation but obviousley I have no access to the information stored on it.
      With the port 21 setup, if I ftp to the dyndns address from internet
      explorer, I get to the root of the drive which shows 2 directories, 'Info' &
      'Disk 1'. I can open the info directory and view/download the files
      contained within, but can't see or access the area of the drive where my
      info is stored.

      Sorry if this is all a bit basic for all the clever people who use this
      forum, but I'm way out of my depth with this type of thing and don't know
      what else to try.

      I hope someone will be kind enough to give me some pointers on what I'm
      doing wrong and what I should try next.

      Many thanks

    • musikgoat
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 5, 2007
        With those linkstation pro's you have to set the shared folder
        permission to FTP, to allow it to show. You will then see the shared
        folder in Disk1.

        You have functionality, but to get to the shared folders that you
        have, go into the admin web interface and then go into shared
        folders, then select the shared folder you want to allow ftp access
        to, and check FTP in those settings (sorry I don't have the gui
        available to tell you the name of the setting).

        One important note is that if the access permissions are not set, this
        folder will be considered anonymous, so anyone and everyone will be
        able to read/write to that folder (even delete).

        As a general precaution, its best to set the folder to have access
        restrictions if you choose to share that folder, then you can set
        read and write permissions.

        Sorry for the delay in responding.

        Hope this helps.

        -goat