Re: Help! Linkstation HD-HG400 Disappeared!

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
      there are 2 questions you need to answer before you proceed:

      1) what image was on the box before it gave up?
      have you already flashed the box once with any firmware before?
      i am asking because of this:
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Non_Flashable_HD-HG300

      2) if you already flashed your box before:
      do you still have warranty on the box?
      do you care about warranty? are you good at removing stickers without
      damaging it?

      (i personally definitely would like to know if i have bought faulty
      hardware. i would carefully remove the sticker and proceed...if the
      box really is an RMA case you can backup all the data before sending
      the box to them...if we can recover the box, then you have learned
      much about recovering the box and how to replace the hdd with a bigger
      one)

      after i asked this:
      if you are careful while removing the sticker without damaging it you
      could open the HG, unplug the hdd
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation

      plug in a hdd that absolutely has no partitions on it and boot.

      your box should be in EM Mode then
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=EM_Mode

      now the firmware updater should find the box on 192.168.11.150

      now it should be possible to flash the box...you have to do it twice,
      the first time only the partitions are created.

      if that works you could do the same with the normal HDD after backing
      up all the files with
      http://www.fs-driver.org/

      -- mindbender
      www.linkstationwiki.net
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Luckett"
      <mikeluckett@...> wrote:

      > Tried that as well, no luck. Scanned the entire 192.168.x.x network
      > with nmap to see if maybe it ended up with another hard-coded IP
      > somewhere in there.
      >
      > Since then I've also tried running wireshark (formerly ethereal) to
      > capture *anything* on the wire with the LS connected directly to my
      > computer's network card while running the LS through it's boot
      > sequence. Wireshark recorded absolutely no traffic from the LS during
      > it's entire power up and power down sequence, only traffic from the
      > computer (arp, windows smb traffic, etc). Ping, telnet, ssh, smb, and
      > flashing utility also gave no response from the LS in this
      > configuration either.
      >
      > Still *very* confused.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Mike
      >
      > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "cherrytreeproduction"
      > <cherrytreeproduction@> wrote:
      > >
      > > try to change your IP to one of the 192.168.11.x-range.
      > >
      > > ping 192.168.11.150
      > >
      > > if your box is responding, then it is in EM mode...and you can flash
      > > it again...
      > >
      > > -- mindbender
      > > www.linkstationwiki.net
      > >
      > > --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Luckett"
      > > <mikeluckett@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi all!
      > > >
      > > > I recently picked up an HD-HG400 for xmas, with the intent of
      turning
      > > > it into a home server for my slimp3's and personal files. I
      > > > successfully flashed freelink 1.11 the other day, followed by
      > > > freelinkomatix and apt-get'ing stuff to support trying to get
      > > > slimserver 6.5.0 working (MySQL 5.0, expat, perl 5.8.8, etc).
      > > > Although I was still having issues getting slimserver to work,
      the LS
      > > > was working fine otherwise (webmin interface, telnet, ssh, etc).
      > > > After about 12 hours of working, I quit for the night, shutting down
      > > > the linkstation with "shutdown now" from the command line. This
      > > > killed the telnet connection (as expected). I came back in a few
      > > > minutes, expecting to see the LS powered off, but it was still on
      > > > (green power light, blue link light). Puzzled, I tried to get it to
      > > > shut down by holding down the power button--no luck. Tried to
      telnet
      > > > in and webmin, but neither worked (no response, like system was shut
      > > > down). Thinking that the system had shut down, but not powered off
      > > > the LS, I pulled the power cord. (yes, with 20/20 hindsight, I
      > > > realize this was probably a mistake).
      > > >
      > > > Next day, I tried to power up the LS and continue working.
      Problem is
      > > > it's now completely invisible to the network. It looks like it
      comes
      > > > on properly (power light blinks awhile, then steadies, link light
      > > > comes on & flashes as would be appropriate for network traffic)
      but I

      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
      > > > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
      > > >
      > > > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
      > > > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS,
      as I'm
      > > > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse.
      Any
      > > > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
      > > >
      > > > Thanks in advance!

    • Mike Luckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
        1) Yes, I'd previously flashed the stock firmware (1.46, IIRC) to test
        flashing, then freelink 1.11, both successfully.

        2) The box is brand new & under warrenty. I am loathe to try and
        disassemble as I would hate to end up with a box with failed hardware
        and be unable to return/replace it. I guess I don't trust my sticker
        pulling skills quite that much :)

        Unless I can figure out some way to fix it w/o opening and wiping the
        drive, I'll probably return it and get a new one. Fortunately, I had
        not yet put any "live" data on the box yet.

        After reading some other posts on linkstationwiki about a HG400
        disappearing after a power outage, I'll probably not go the
        freelink/2.6 kernal route again, but will hopefully be able to get
        slimserver up an running on openlink.

        Thanks for the advice.

        Mike

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
          question is if you need 2.6 at all.

          if you use openlink you can use it as well....

          so NFS for example is only available with 2.6....

          but if you don`t need you can go without...i am getting pretty similar
          speeds with ext3 as a filesystem.....i need to finish the ramdisk from
          scratch....jonli447 told me that the ramdisk cannot work because i
          compiled it with 2.6.17 kernel headers....and i just tried it with
          2.4! i flashed UBoot because of testing....UBoot allows me to use a
          2.6-kernel without loader.o.....and the 2.6-kernel did not fit into
          the flash....

          there might be soon some new firmwares maybe....butthen UBoot is
          mandatory for some features....

          anyway, good luck.