Re: Help! Linkstation HD-HG400 Disappeared!

  • cherrytreeproduction
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
      try to change your IP to one of the 192.168.11.x-range.

      ping 192.168.11.150

      if your box is responding, then it is in EM mode...and you can flash
      it again...

      -- mindbender
      www.linkstationwiki.net

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Luckett"

      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
      > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
      >
      > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
      > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS, as I'm
      > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse. Any
      > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks in advance!

    • Mike Luckett
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
        Tried that as well, no luck. Scanned the entire 192.168.x.x network
        with nmap to see if maybe it ended up with another hard-coded IP
        somewhere in there.

        Since then I've also tried running wireshark (formerly ethereal) to
        capture *anything* on the wire with the LS connected directly to my
        computer's network card while running the LS through it's boot
        sequence. Wireshark recorded absolutely no traffic from the LS during
        it's entire power up and power down sequence, only traffic from the
        computer (arp, windows smb traffic, etc). Ping, telnet, ssh, smb, and
        flashing utility also gave no response from the LS in this
        configuration either.

        Still *very* confused.

        Thanks,

        Mike

        <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > In desperation, I even tried a nmap scan of the entire 192.168.0.0/16
        > > network with this configuration, but only found the host computer
        > (no LS!)
        > >
        > > I can power the LS off by holding the power button for a few seconds
        > > (power flashes a while, then it shuts off) and power it back up, but
        > > that doesn't seem to change anything.
        > >
        > > I've also tried to double-press the reset button (per the instructions
        > > on

        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
        > > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
        > >
        > > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
        > > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS, as I'm
        > > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse. Any
        > > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
          there are 2 questions you need to answer before you proceed:

          1) what image was on the box before it gave up?
          have you already flashed the box once with any firmware before?
          i am asking because of this:
          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Non_Flashable_HD-HG300

          2) if you already flashed your box before:
          do you still have warranty on the box?
          do you care about warranty? are you good at removing stickers without
          damaging it?

          (i personally definitely would like to know if i have bought faulty
          hardware. i would carefully remove the sticker and proceed...if the
          box really is an RMA case you can backup all the data before sending
          the box to them...if we can recover the box, then you have learned
          much about recovering the box and how to replace the hdd with a bigger
          one)

          after i asked this:
          if you are careful while removing the sticker without damaging it you
          could open the HG, unplug the hdd
          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation

          plug in a hdd that absolutely has no partitions on it and boot.

          your box should be in EM Mode then
          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=EM_Mode

          now the firmware updater should find the box on 192.168.11.150

          now it should be possible to flash the box...you have to do it twice,
          the first time only the partitions are created.

          if that works you could do the same with the normal HDD after backing
          up all the files with
          http://www.fs-driver.org/

          <mikeluckett@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > > network with this configuration, but only found the host computer
          > > (no LS!)
          > > >
          > > > I can power the LS off by holding the power button for a few seconds
          > > > (power flashes a while, then it shuts off) and power it back up, but
          > > > that doesn't seem to change anything.
          > > >
          > > > I've also tried to double-press the reset button (per the
          instructions
          > > > on

          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
          > > > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
          > > >
          > > > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
          > > > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS,
          as I'm
          > > > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse.
          Any
          > > > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

        • Mike Luckett
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
            1) Yes, I'd previously flashed the stock firmware (1.46, IIRC) to test
            flashing, then freelink 1.11, both successfully.

            2) The box is brand new & under warrenty. I am loathe to try and
            disassemble as I would hate to end up with a box with failed hardware
            and be unable to return/replace it. I guess I don't trust my sticker
            pulling skills quite that much :)

            Unless I can figure out some way to fix it w/o opening and wiping the
            drive, I'll probably return it and get a new one. Fortunately, I had
            not yet put any "live" data on the box yet.

            After reading some other posts on linkstationwiki about a HG400
            disappearing after a power outage, I'll probably not go the
            freelink/2.6 kernal route again, but will hopefully be able to get
            slimserver up an running on openlink.

            Thanks for the advice.

          • cherrytreeproduction
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
              question is if you need 2.6 at all.

              if you use openlink you can use it as well....

              so NFS for example is only available with 2.6....

              but if you don`t need you can go without...i am getting pretty similar
              speeds with ext3 as a filesystem.....i need to finish the ramdisk from
              scratch....jonli447 told me that the ramdisk cannot work because i
              compiled it with 2.6.17 kernel headers....and i just tried it with
              2.4! i flashed UBoot because of testing....UBoot allows me to use a
              2.6-kernel without loader.o.....and the 2.6-kernel did not fit into
              the flash....

              there might be soon some new firmwares maybe....butthen UBoot is
              mandatory for some features....

              anyway, good luck.