Help! Linkstation HD-HG400 Disappeared!

  • Mike Luckett
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
      Hi all!

      I recently picked up an HD-HG400 for xmas, with the intent of turning
      it into a home server for my slimp3's and personal files. I
      successfully flashed freelink 1.11 the other day, followed by
      freelinkomatix and apt-get'ing stuff to support trying to get
      slimserver 6.5.0 working (MySQL 5.0, expat, perl 5.8.8, etc).
      Although I was still having issues getting slimserver to work, the LS
      was working fine otherwise (webmin interface, telnet, ssh, etc).
      After about 12 hours of working, I quit for the night, shutting down
      the linkstation with "shutdown now" from the command line. This
      killed the telnet connection (as expected). I came back in a few
      minutes, expecting to see the LS powered off, but it was still on
      (green power light, blue link light). Puzzled, I tried to get it to
      shut down by holding down the power button--no luck. Tried to telnet
      in and webmin, but neither worked (no response, like system was shut
      down). Thinking that the system had shut down, but not powered off
      the LS, I pulled the power cord. (yes, with 20/20 hindsight, I
      realize this was probably a mistake).

      Next day, I tried to power up the LS and continue working. Problem is
      it's now completely invisible to the network. It looks like it comes
      on properly (power light blinks awhile, then steadies, link light
      comes on & flashes as would be appropriate for network traffic) but I
      cannot seem to access it in any way. All of the following have been
      unsuccessful:

      It's not pulling a dhcp lease from my router.
      I've tried pinging the previously-assigned address.
      I've tried pinging the hostname (linkstation).
      I've tried accessing via telnet and ssh (hostname & ip address)
      I've tried accessing webmin via hostname and previous ip address.
      I've tried accessing via samba (\\linkstation and \\its.old.ip.address)
      I've tried running the firmware updater (both 1.42 stock and freelink
      1.11), but neither find the LS at all.
      I've tried tried port scanning the whole subnet with nmap, no
      linkstation found.

      I also tried hooking up the LS straight to my computer and setting the
      comp's address to 192.168.11.1 and looking for the linkstation at
      192.168.11.150 (with ping, http, samba, telnet, ssh, nmap and the
      firmware updaters), but can't find anything at all.
      In desperation, I even tried a nmap scan of the entire 192.168.0.0/16
      network with this configuration, but only found the host computer (no LS!)

      I can power the LS off by holding the power button for a few seconds
      (power flashes a while, then it shuts off) and power it back up, but
      that doesn't seem to change anything.

      I've also tried to double-press the reset button (per the instructions
      on
      http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
      to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.

      Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
      from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS, as I'm
      not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse. Any
      ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

      Thanks in advance!
    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 21, 2007
        try to change your IP to one of the 192.168.11.x-range.

        ping 192.168.11.150

        if your box is responding, then it is in EM mode...and you can flash
        it again...

        -- mindbender
        www.linkstationwiki.net

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Luckett"
        <mikeluckett@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > In desperation, I even tried a nmap scan of the entire 192.168.0.0/16
        > network with this configuration, but only found the host computer
        (no LS!)

        > I can power the LS off by holding the power button for a few seconds
        > (power flashes a while, then it shuts off) and power it back up, but
        > that doesn't seem to change anything.
        >
        > I've also tried to double-press the reset button (per the instructions
        > on

        http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
        > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
        >
        > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
        > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS, as I'm
        > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse. Any
        > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

      • Mike Luckett
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
          Tried that as well, no luck. Scanned the entire 192.168.x.x network
          with nmap to see if maybe it ended up with another hard-coded IP
          somewhere in there.

          Since then I've also tried running wireshark (formerly ethereal) to
          capture *anything* on the wire with the LS connected directly to my
          computer's network card while running the LS through it's boot
          sequence. Wireshark recorded absolutely no traffic from the LS during
          it's entire power up and power down sequence, only traffic from the
          computer (arp, windows smb traffic, etc). Ping, telnet, ssh, smb, and
          flashing utility also gave no response from the LS in this
          configuration either.

          Still *very* confused.

          Thanks,

          Mike

          <cherrytreeproduction@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > In desperation, I even tried a nmap scan of the entire 192.168.0.0/16
          > > network with this configuration, but only found the host computer
          > (no LS!)
          > >
          > > I can power the LS off by holding the power button for a few seconds
          > > (power flashes a while, then it shuts off) and power it back up, but
          > > that doesn't seem to change anything.
          > >
          > > I've also tried to double-press the reset button (per the instructions
          > > on

          http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
          > > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
          > >
          > > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
          > > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS, as I'm
          > > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse. Any
          > > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

        • cherrytreeproduction
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 22, 2007
            there are 2 questions you need to answer before you proceed:

            1) what image was on the box before it gave up?
            have you already flashed the box once with any firmware before?
            i am asking because of this:
            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Non_Flashable_HD-HG300

            2) if you already flashed your box before:
            do you still have warranty on the box?
            do you care about warranty? are you good at removing stickers without
            damaging it?

            (i personally definitely would like to know if i have bought faulty
            hardware. i would carefully remove the sticker and proceed...if the
            box really is an RMA case you can backup all the data before sending
            the box to them...if we can recover the box, then you have learned
            much about recovering the box and how to replace the hdd with a bigger
            one)

            after i asked this:
            if you are careful while removing the sticker without damaging it you
            could open the HG, unplug the hdd
            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Disassemble_the_white_LinkStation

            plug in a hdd that absolutely has no partitions on it and boot.

            your box should be in EM Mode then
            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=EM_Mode

            now the firmware updater should find the box on 192.168.11.150

            now it should be possible to flash the box...you have to do it twice,
            the first time only the partitions are created.

            if that works you could do the same with the normal HDD after backing
            up all the files with
            http://www.fs-driver.org/

            <mikeluckett@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > > > network with this configuration, but only found the host computer
            > > (no LS!)
            > > >
            > > > I can power the LS off by holding the power button for a few seconds
            > > > (power flashes a while, then it shuts off) and power it back up, but
            > > > that doesn't seem to change anything.
            > > >
            > > > I've also tried to double-press the reset button (per the
            instructions
            > > > on

            http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?title=Recover_a_non_working_%22bricked%22_Linkstation)
            > > > to resuscitate access, but that has not had any effect.
            > > >
            > > > Any ideas what's wrong with my LS? Suggestions on where to proceed
            > > > from here? I'm hoping to avoid having to dissassemble the LS,
            as I'm
            > > > not a linux guy and am concerned that I might make things worse.
            Any
            > > > ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated.

          • Mike Luckett
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
              1) Yes, I'd previously flashed the stock firmware (1.46, IIRC) to test
              flashing, then freelink 1.11, both successfully.

              2) The box is brand new & under warrenty. I am loathe to try and
              disassemble as I would hate to end up with a box with failed hardware
              and be unable to return/replace it. I guess I don't trust my sticker
              pulling skills quite that much :)

              Unless I can figure out some way to fix it w/o opening and wiping the
              drive, I'll probably return it and get a new one. Fortunately, I had
              not yet put any "live" data on the box yet.

              After reading some other posts on linkstationwiki about a HG400
              disappearing after a power outage, I'll probably not go the
              freelink/2.6 kernal route again, but will hopefully be able to get
              slimserver up an running on openlink.

              Thanks for the advice.

            • cherrytreeproduction
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 23, 2007
                question is if you need 2.6 at all.

                if you use openlink you can use it as well....

                so NFS for example is only available with 2.6....

                but if you don`t need you can go without...i am getting pretty similar
                speeds with ext3 as a filesystem.....i need to finish the ramdisk from
                scratch....jonli447 told me that the ramdisk cannot work because i
                compiled it with 2.6.17 kernel headers....and i just tried it with
                2.4! i flashed UBoot because of testing....UBoot allows me to use a
                2.6-kernel without loader.o.....and the 2.6-kernel did not fit into
                the flash....

                there might be soon some new firmwares maybe....butthen UBoot is
                mandatory for some features....

                anyway, good luck.