Fix for lpd crash (printer daemon maxinfg out cpu = ultra slow printing)

  • glasseron
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 13, 2007
      Printing from XP I was getting ultra slow printer response response
      lately...
      I did a little investigation to find out the cpu was maxed out by
      roged lpd daemon (type: top to see your cpu activity)

      So the lpd was indeed crashing, but why?
      It seems that lpd being set to retry non-stop was the culprit.

      FIX: edit the lpd config file: /etc/lpd.conf
      The line that reads: "send_try=0"
      should be changed back to its intended default >: "send_try=3"

      Explanation:
      "Send_try=x" is number of times for server to try sending job - 0 is
      infinite

      daemon architect www: http://www.lprng.com/PrintingCookbook/index.html