Re: BIOS Flash Not Working On LS2

  • Chris Archer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
      I have the same setup and when I 'successfully' flash 0.52b I also
      only see it reporting 2.05.

      Now I might be wrong (and I can't find the reference) but I am sure I
      read something on Linkstation wiki one time that it did report this
      depsite being a leter version. Maybe someone could confirm.

      other than that be supposed Openlink flashed LS2 has been happily
      running as a Slimserver server fro three months now without any
      hassles.

      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales"
      <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

      > Happy NuYear All
      >
      > I want to upgrade the BIOS on my 250GB Mipsel Linkstation 2 from
      2.05
      > to 2.23 as the first stage of getting Slimserver on there (and
      fallen
      > at first hurdle!).
      > I have downloaded the Mipsel-Openlink-0.52b.zip file which extracts
      > the update.exe & an image. Updater sees the LS2 fine (both
      connected
      > directly & via hub) and update seems to run fine.
      > But after re-booting the LS2 the firmware still says 2.05 in the web
      > browser.
      >
      > Thanks very much
      >
      > Tony
      >
      > PS Well, at least it's not bricking...

    • cherrytreeproduction
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
        > Now I might be wrong (and I can't find the reference) but I am sure I
        > read something on Linkstation wiki one time that it did report this
        > depsite being a leter version. Maybe someone could confirm.

        thats absolutely right.

        -- mindbender
        www.linkstationwiki.net
      • ant_in_wales
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
          Ah - thanks very much Chris & Mindbender.

          Yet when I telnetted onto LS, rather than get the prompt I expected it
          said "bash205#" and I didn't need to log in (though could browse
          happily).
          Is that normal? Why didn't I need to put in the root password?

          [I fear my questions are going to be a bit basic, but may prove a
          useful resource for other newbies in the future....)

          Cheers

          Tony

          > > Now I might be wrong (and I can't find the reference) but I am sure
          > > read something on Linkstation wiki one time that it did report this
          > > depsite being a leter version. Maybe someone could confirm.
          >
          > thats absolutely right.
          >
          > -- mindbender
          > www.linkstationwiki.net

        • lalunas10
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
            --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales" <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

            > Ah - thanks very much Chris & Mindbender.
            >
            > Yet when I telnetted onto LS, rather than get the prompt I expected it
            > said "bash205#" and I didn't need to log in (though could browse
            > happily).
            > Is that normal? Why didn't I need to put in the root password?

            That's covered in the linkstationwiki.net FAQ 3.8:

            <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?
            title=FAQ#I_downloaded_a_custom_firmware_and_now_telnet_no_longer_prompts_me_for_a
            _password._What.E2.80.99s_going_on.3F>

            -Andre
          • ant_in_wales
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
              Ah-ha! Thanks Andre - an evening of vi beckons...
              (which I last used in 1993)