BIOS Flash Not Working On LS2

  • ant_in_wales
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 7, 2007
      Happy NuYear All

      I want to upgrade the BIOS on my 250GB Mipsel Linkstation 2 from 2.05
      to 2.23 as the first stage of getting Slimserver on there (and fallen
      at first hurdle!).
      I have downloaded the Mipsel-Openlink-0.52b.zip file which extracts
      the update.exe & an image. Updater sees the LS2 fine (both connected
      directly & via hub) and update seems to run fine.
      But after re-booting the LS2 the firmware still says 2.05 in the web
      browser.

      Thanks very much

      Tony

      PS Well, at least it's not bricking...
    • Chris Archer
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
        I have the same setup and when I 'successfully' flash 0.52b I also
        only see it reporting 2.05.

        Now I might be wrong (and I can't find the reference) but I am sure I
        read something on Linkstation wiki one time that it did report this
        depsite being a leter version. Maybe someone could confirm.

        other than that be supposed Openlink flashed LS2 has been happily
        running as a Slimserver server fro three months now without any
        hassles.

        --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales"
        <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

        > Happy NuYear All
        >
        > I want to upgrade the BIOS on my 250GB Mipsel Linkstation 2 from
        2.05
        > to 2.23 as the first stage of getting Slimserver on there (and
        fallen
        > at first hurdle!).
        > I have downloaded the Mipsel-Openlink-0.52b.zip file which extracts
        > the update.exe & an image. Updater sees the LS2 fine (both
        connected
        > directly & via hub) and update seems to run fine.
        > But after re-booting the LS2 the firmware still says 2.05 in the web
        > browser.
        >
        > Thanks very much
        >
        > Tony
        >
        > PS Well, at least it's not bricking...

      • cherrytreeproduction
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 8, 2007
          > Now I might be wrong (and I can't find the reference) but I am sure I
          > read something on Linkstation wiki one time that it did report this
          > depsite being a leter version. Maybe someone could confirm.

          thats absolutely right.

          -- mindbender
          www.linkstationwiki.net
        • ant_in_wales
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
            Ah - thanks very much Chris & Mindbender.

            Yet when I telnetted onto LS, rather than get the prompt I expected it
            said "bash205#" and I didn't need to log in (though could browse
            happily).
            Is that normal? Why didn't I need to put in the root password?

            [I fear my questions are going to be a bit basic, but may prove a
            useful resource for other newbies in the future....)

            Cheers

            Tony

            > > Now I might be wrong (and I can't find the reference) but I am sure
            > > read something on Linkstation wiki one time that it did report this
            > > depsite being a leter version. Maybe someone could confirm.
            >
            > thats absolutely right.
            >
            > -- mindbender
            > www.linkstationwiki.net

          • lalunas10
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
              --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "ant_in_wales" <ant_in_wales@...> wrote:

              > Ah - thanks very much Chris & Mindbender.
              >
              > Yet when I telnetted onto LS, rather than get the prompt I expected it
              > said "bash205#" and I didn't need to log in (though could browse
              > happily).
              > Is that normal? Why didn't I need to put in the root password?

              That's covered in the linkstationwiki.net FAQ 3.8:

              <http://linkstationwiki.net/index.php?
              title=FAQ#I_downloaded_a_custom_firmware_and_now_telnet_no_longer_prompts_me_for_a
              _password._What.E2.80.99s_going_on.3F>

              -Andre
            • ant_in_wales
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 9, 2007
                Ah-ha! Thanks Andre - an evening of vi beckons...
                (which I last used in 1993)