Re: Print server / OpenLink question

  • mattrot
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2007
      --- In LinkStation_General@yahoogroups.com, "mattrot"
      <shtboxdodge@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > i recently got the 250G Gigabit Linkstation. i've tried with no
      > success to use it as a print server for my HP Deskjet 3650 out of the
      > box. i would like the Win XP machines on the network to be able to
      > print to it.
      >
      > after searching around for info. it sounded like i have to do a bit of
      > extra work to do this: flash OpenLink or FreeLink onto the LS and then
      > install CUPS and hplip. does this sound right? will that maintain
      > print server functionality?

      out-of-the-box solution found:

      i finally received a response from Buffalo regarding the slowness of
      the print server feature. i'm not sure why i didn't stumble upon this
      information anywhere else, but it worked perfectly for me:

      From: Buffalo Tech Support <info@...>
      Date: January 5, 2007 3:53:26 PM PST
      Subject: [Ticket#: 20151650]

      Thank you for contacting Buffalo technical support. I understand
      that you had
      some questions about the linkstation. The print server capability
      does not
      work very well with print spooling. Open control panel, printers
      and faxes,
      right click on the printer, left click on properties, click on
      advanced, and
      check off print directly to printer.

      this small change has the printer working extremely fast for me. i
      hope this helps out others.

      but now that i know about turning the little gizmo into a linux
      machine i will probably continue trying to figure out how to do that
      just for the fun of it.